Applesoft Lite - Why no trig functions?

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Applesoft Lite - Why no trig functions?

Postby tranter » Feb Tue 14, 2012 3:36 pm

The port of Applesoft Lite to the replica 1 is pretty cool (http://cowgod.org/replica1/applesoft/). I was wondering why the SIN/COS/TAN/ATN functions were missing. I know that in early Microsoft BASICs they were often optional because of the additional space required. I was hoping that maybe it was just disabled but the source code for Applesoft Lite doesn't seem to have any support there. Does anyone know more about this?

Incidently, I had problems loading the Applesoft Lite RAM hex dump version 0.4 and had to reformat it in the more conventional Woz monitor format with an address on each line of the file. That version loaded fine over the serial port.
If anyone else has this problem I can provide the file.
tranter

Re: Applesoft Lite - Why no trig functions?

Postby cowgod » Mar Sat 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Applesoft Lite was originally intended to fit it in EEPROM on the Replica-1, to replace the built-in Integer BASIC. For that to happen it needs to be less than 7936 bytes. (8KB minus 256 bytes for the monitor). Applesoft on the Apple II is 10KB, so some stuff had to go to make everything fit. I suppose it would be possible to build a RAM-targeted verison which is closer to the original. I'll have to dig around and see if I have any earlier revisions of the source files which still had the trig functions.

Tom
cowgod

Postby vbriel » Mar Sun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Tom,

Just so you know, Applesoft lite was one of the top 10 things software wise done for the replica 1. Even without trig functions, it is just so cool, and if you happen to have a CFFA1, even better with the built in commands.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby tranter » Mar Mon 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info. It makes sense to pull the trig functions to make it fit in 8K. In fact, just today I recompiled it to run from the EEPROM in the Multi I/O board so I can run either flavor of BASIC out of ROM.

The trig functions are in this version of Microsoft BASIC for 6502, which no one seems to have ported to the Replica 1:
http://www.pagetable.com/?p=46
tranter

Postby tranter » Apr Fri 27, 2012 8:13 am

Since I posted this, I ported this version of BASIC to the Replica 1, at least the OSI version of it.
For details, see http://jefftranter.blogspot.ca/2012/04/microsoft-basic-for-replica-1.html
tranter

Return to replica 1 General Discussion