Cassette interface

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Re: Cassette interface

Postby vbriel » Sep Wed 12, 2012 2:38 pm

This is the beta run cassette 1 board. Notice the small jumper to the right of the EPROM. The voltage select is for the -12V supply to the board. If you want to use a multi-voltage power supply, then you can select normal jumper wire between normal and the middle hole. If you only use a single voltage with the wall wart power supply, or just may go to one, then you can select GROUND to the middle connector. This way you don't need -12V to operate the cassette interface. I left this option for the user to decide. Assembled units will be GROUND by default, they will work with both setups.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Sep Fri 14, 2012 10:39 pm

The cassette kit only orders have shipped. I'll be shipping cassettes with other orders next week along with assembled units.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby ajacocks » Sep Sun 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Just wanted to post a quick note to say that I have finished the build of the cassette interface kit. I've got it installed in my R1 TE, and it appears that it's working correctly, at a basic level. However, I don't seem to be able to load anything from tape. Unfortunately, I don't have a tape recorder to play with, to see if I can write.

I did a quick test of the ROM (after re-reading the documentation, about which ROM to use!), and did a quick test.

I typed:

Code: Select all
\
C100R

C100:  A9*

Good! Now, to try to load Apple I BASIC (from Wendell Sanders' website):

E000.EFFFR
@

I never get the '\', indicating the end of the load. I am loading from an iPhone 4, using Wendell's preprocessed .aiff file (http://www.apple1notes.com/old_apple/Pr ... c.aiff.zip). I've tried fooling with the volume, to no avail.

I spent some time looking for a way to figure out if the volume is sufficient, but I couldn't find much. I know that the LED won't light, when using an iPod/iPhone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
- Alex
ajacocks

Postby vbriel » Sep Sun 23, 2012 6:17 pm

It might be because basic is already loaded in ROM at E000-EFFF. That memory location was not made as RAM but ROM so BASIC could be installed by default. If you don't get the \, hit ESCAPE.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby ajacocks » Sep Mon 24, 2012 10:33 am

That is a good point, Vince. This morning, I also tried to load Life:

\
C100R

C100:  A9*
0280.0900R
@

The '\' doesn't come back, and hitting ESC doesn't seem to bring it back. The only thing that I can do is to reset the R1.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
- Alex
ajacocks

Postby vbriel » Sep Mon 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Is any code in the memory if you examine it? Might be a volume issue. Did you put the replacement EPROM in as well?
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby ajacocks » Sep Mon 24, 2012 1:10 pm

Vince,

Unfortunately, since I can't get the machine to return after attempting a load, I can't examine memory.

And, no, I haven't tried the replacement ROM, yet. I wanted to try with the original, first, to see if I could get it to work, as stock.

Man, I wish I had an oscilloscope.

- Alex
ajacocks

Postby vbriel » Sep Mon 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Hit reset, that will return you. I know after years playing with the cassette if you didn't have the sound at the correct volume it would continue in an endless loop waiting for the remaining data. It sounds like you're dropping some data. The thing is, check the address area first page that you are going to load the program into, then attempt to load the program, after it fails and just sits there, hit reset and examine the memory.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby ajacocks » Oct Mon 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Vince,

So, I've done a bunch more testing, including the acquisition of an actual cassette tape recorder. I'm not sure if the audio input is getting anything, or not. I am sure that audio output is working, since attaching headphones to the audio output port produces the expected header+data+footer sounds. The input definitely does not change memory, at least not in the expected way.

I've tried a variety of audio devices (iPhone 4, tape recorder, Windows PC), and none cause the LED on the card to light, indicating proper audio level. I know that you said that the iPhone isn't powerful enough to do that, so that didn't worry me, but I expected the tape recorder and the PC to be able to light it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
- Alex
ajacocks

Previous

Return to replica 1 General Discussion