Video comparison of the Apple-1 and Replica-1

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Video comparison of the Apple-1 and Replica-1

Postby Corey986 » Jul Sun 15, 2012 7:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNBdqBjtI5Y NOTE: UPDATED URL I FIXED A ZOOM PROBLEM

So I was a little bored and put this together, it was a good way to start to learn iMovie. A friend found a very interesting side effect of the propeller chip on his Replica-1 compared to his Apple 1/Mimeo so I decided to make a video of my setup.

No big deal, most of the emulators have problems running this little program each with different results. Since technically the Replica-1 "emulates" the Apple-1 video section it's not surprising this program doesn't match the Apple-1 exactly. But its still pretty interesting :-) and I get to show off my plexi-glass Apple-1 case. Yes I will make a mini one for my Replica-1 once I get Vince's cassette adapter so I can measure the size correctly. The Replica-1 will be part of my Apple exhibit so I have to have a cool case ;)

Cheers,
Corey
Last edited by Corey986 on Jul Sun 15, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey986

Re: Video comparison of the Apple-1 and Replica-1

Postby tranter » Jul Sun 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Nice video.

I consider the support for lowercase display on the Replica 1 a feature rather than a bug.
It would be a simple change to the Propeller code to only support uppercase, and one of the great things about the Replica 1 is that all the source code is there, the Propeller development tools are free, and you can update the code without any special hardware - just a serial port to your PC.
tranter

Postby Corey986 » Jul Sun 15, 2012 8:43 pm

tranter wrote:Nice video.

I consider the support for lowercase display on the Replica 1 a feature rather than a bug.
It would be a simple change to the Propeller code to only support uppercase, and one of the great things about the Replica 1 is that all the source code is there, the Propeller development tools are free, and you can update the code without any special hardware - just a serial port to your PC.

I don't consider it a bug either but a feature also. I bought my Replica-1 as a HW/SW hacking platform so I understand it's just the way it was implemented, same for the auto clear-screen on startup. This issue is also actually more than lowercase, that is just the obvious one, the Apple-1 has a slight quirky hardware implementation that makes it also not follow the ASCII codes incrementing of the loop properly. That is the difference with most of the emulators have from the Apple-1. Cameron Cooper has documented it on his blog.

BTW speaking of blogs: Love your blog, especially the 16 bit Replica-1 work. I noticed you have "documented" a few design features yourself that differ in from the Apple-1 also.

Cheers,
Corey
Corey986

Postby qubitz » Jul Wed 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Sweet a chance to plug my blog! I'll pay you later Corey :)

Here's the mentioned post:

http://cameronscloset.com/2012/02/19/a- ... ation-bug/
qubitz

Return to replica 1 General Discussion