replica 1 tenth anniversary edition

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

replica 1 tenth anniversary edition

Postby vbriel » Nov Sat 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Well, I guess the cats out of the bag. The limited edition is serial number and limited to 50 units. Here's a link to the article:

http://a2central.com/5300/briel-replica-1-tenth-anniversary-limited-edition-announced/

Still working on the PAL, need to test that somehow and making the HOME key clear the screen on the PS/2 keyboards.

The new BAUD rate is now 9600 non parity 8 bit 1 stop bit. Delays are still required as the USB-Serial input is still simulating keystrokes.

Simple mini USB power connector. Optional universal power supply and cable will be available for sale but a common USB power supply means no searching for a power supply to use. 500mA recommended but 1000mA or (1A) is best. You can use your PC or Mac USB port to power the replica 1.

The USB port is a USB to serial port creating a virtual COM port on your PC. You can then use a terminal program like Tera Term to download and play games for the replica 1 and apple 1. No more outdated serial connection since the interface was intended for connection to a computer not a serial device.

Gone is the ATX so that means no -12V or 12V supplies. If this becomes an issue for people, I can make an interface board for atx connection but you will still need to USB power as the 3.3V for the propeller is generated from the 5V from the USB input. If your Apple II ASCII keyboard won't function without -12V, I have the Super encoder board available that works on 5V only.

Gone is also the 40 pin header from the original replica 1 days. It is on the 3 slot expander so it still exists.

Gone is also the 1MHz oscillator as the signal is generated from the Propeller

Gone is the 74LS04 inverted as I was able to emulate the inverter with the Propeller.

The smaller size, reduced component count helps keep the cost low as component prices continue to rise sharply. Over the past 5 years for example, resistors alone have gone from $.01 to $.08 and some capacitors have gone from $.06 to $.19 each. Seems small but this is only a small example of the component price increases. I strive to keep these kits affordable for everybody and not only were these changes necessary to keep low prices, but some changes are necessary for availability reasons. The original replica 1 had no serial interface and used the old AT style power connector! There was no power switch since the power supply had a switch.

I hope you like the new replica 1 and look forward to your comments.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: replica 1 tenth anniversary edition

Postby dbetz » Nov Sat 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Congratulations Vince! This sounds very exciting! I just hope I'm fast enough to get in on the initial run!
dbetz

Postby wmmullaney » Nov Sat 16, 2013 11:32 pm

I like it, looks nice. Great work!

One beef though, the 40 pin header was really nice for hobbyist expansion. I do wish that was still there, without having to buy an expander.

Good luck, I hope it sells well :wink:
Adventures with the 6502 - Retro computing from a highschooler's perspective.
wmmullaney

Postby reubanks » Nov Sun 17, 2013 6:11 pm

I was sort of expecting this and am a little surprised that it still has a PS/2 keyboard port instead of USB, but it doesn't make a difference to me.

Of course an AT keyboard port to allow me to use my Model M would have been perfect... :mrgreen:

I'll start letting my friends know.
reubanks

Postby vbriel » Nov Sun 17, 2013 8:16 pm

They make AT to ps/2 adapters. PS/2 to USB does not work.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby jac_goudsmit » Nov Thu 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Any news about this? The article says pre-orders start today but I don't see any links anywhere...

EDIT: Never mind I found it. http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?p=1064

===Jac
Last edited by jac_goudsmit on Nov Thu 28, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jac_goudsmit

Postby dbetz » Nov Thu 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Check out the "News" page.
dbetz

Postby jac_goudsmit » Dec Sun 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey Vince,

When I ordered my Replica 1TEN, I took a close look at the pictures of the PCB and it looks like it has a lot of similarities with the OSI project (I see a 74LS00 and a 74LS138 as glue logic).

If that's true, I was wondering if the 27C128 EPROM was strictly necessary?

Just curious...

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby vbriel » Dec Mon 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Yeah, glue logic is a little similar but the Propeller is connected only to the I/O of the 6821 and not to the bus signals. So, yes as much as I'd like to eliminate the 128 EPROM, I can't. The Propeller acts in place of the apple 1's terminal section. There's an 8 bit output of the 6821 and 2 handshake signals. On the input side, there is a 7 bit ASCII input and strobe bit. The serial connection is a conversion of these data bytes out the serial port and receiving is simply simulating an ASCII keystroke.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby dbetz » Jan Thu 02, 2014 5:08 pm

How are the Replica 1 TAE kits coming? Any estimate of when they will ship?
dbetz

Postby vbriel » Jan Fri 03, 2014 9:03 am

Should start shipping next week. I'm getting the last of the parts in by Tuesday. The only hold up is I'm also getting the Altair's rolled out at the same time.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby dbetz » Jan Fri 03, 2014 11:04 am

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to mine!
dbetz

Postby Tor6502 » Jan Fri 10, 2014 11:26 am

Has shipping started as planned? I admit I'm getting slightly apprehensive about the schedule by now.. I'm in Norway but I'm going to Japan somewhen near the end of the month and I had hoped to bring the kit so I could build it when over there.

-Tor
Tor6502

Postby vbriel » Jan Fri 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Shipping started today. Sorry, there are 50 plus some Altair orders. Going as fast as I can.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby martindec » Mar Tue 18, 2014 12:24 am

I still haven't received my 2 ordered Replica 10th anniversaries models yet, nor a tracking number (ordered Nov 28, 2013). I also have not received my ordered Altair and additional components nor a tracking number from an order placed November 5, 2013. I tried to reach Vince since weeks by Email a couple of times, and over other channels (including Private Message in this forum). I never got any answers back from him (I checked also my Spam-Box). :(

The last communication I got from Vince was Dec 23 where he stated that the Altair would be sent by around end of December, and the Replica around first week of January.

Does anyone know what is going on? It is very frustrating.

Martin
martindec

Next

Return to replica 1 General Discussion