The (un)official "I got my Replica 1 Ten" thread

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

The (un)official "I got my Replica 1 Ten" thread

Postby Tor6502 » Feb Mon 24, 2014 10:01 pm

The mailman just called at the door with my Replica 1 Ten #24. :) The USPS tracking went silent after it left USA less than 4 days ago, I expected it to take a bit longer to reach Japan but I was pleasantly surprised. Now to start soldering. If I had still been in Norway I would have had access to the fully equipped lab at work (what with my +50 vision and all - at the lab there are microscopes etc), here I'm a bit limited - I have rescued an old rusty soldering iron which I'm currently fixing up. Brought some solder from home. Hopefully I'm good to go. Kit looks great. I'm really looking forward to put it together.

Any others received theirs? Probably all of you with lower board numbers.. Jac posted about his #10 some time ago. Feel free to add yours to this thread! :)

Cheers,
-Tor
Tor6502

Re: The (un)official "I got my Replica 1 Ten" thread

Postby keriisan » Mar Sun 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Tor,

I received my Replica 1 TE, serial #13 (aka Lucky 13) in January. However, I wasn't able to find time to assemble it until one of the snow storms we had in March. Dusting off my soldering iron, I put it together in a morning. I don't have a monitor handy which takes composite video, so I ran the board over the serial port. After realizing that only upper case characters work, I was able to use the Woz Monitor, Integer Basic, and AppleSoft basic. Seeing the "]" prompt again was nostalgic (my school had an Apple ][). I then uploaded a number of the sample programs successfully; now looking forward to re-learning 6502 assembly and Forth.

I definitely thank Vince for providing such a nice kit!

Sean
Attachments
replica1_2.jpg
Lucky13 connected via serial port
replica1_2.jpg (150.76 KiB) Viewed 9925 times
replica1_1.jpg
Lucky13
replica1_1.jpg (175.33 KiB) Viewed 9925 times
keriisan

Postby martindec » Apr Thu 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Got my replace 1 ten yesterday and assembled it tonight. I had to update the firmware to 110REV02 (see separate post from Vince) to make it work with the PS/2 keyboard. Works now perfectly.
Replica1TEN_NR30.jpg
Replica 1 Ten Nbr 30
Replica1TEN_NR30.jpg (247.27 KiB) Viewed 9904 times
martindec

Postby Tor6502 » Apr Sat 12, 2014 5:47 am

Finally got to build my #24 (see first post in this thread). It took a while before I had everything I needed for the project, including time. I'm currently in Japan so I didn't have any of my equipment from back home. Fixed up an old soldering iron, found a circle-LED magnifying lamp in a shop (very nice, almost as good as using the microscope in the lab at home). It has one small high-magnifying section which I used to inspect my work.
The last missing item was simply a chair to sit on in the shed.. well, today all came together and the board was built. Very nice kit, and I must say the PCB is of very good quality compared to some other kits I've built the last couple of years. It made for an easy build.

If the picture I uploaded is visible you'll notice a couple of things:
1) I haven't installed the big blue 44-pin slot yet. I figure I won't need it anytime soon.
2) Haven't populated the board with ICs yet, I'll do some measurements first and then install them tomorrow.
3) The yellow RCA video connector isn't installed.. unfortunately I did not actually open the bag until today, and only when I did the inventory did I realize that the RCA connector was missing from the kit. I think I have one at home (Norway) but I'm not going home just yet so I'll have to do without for now. I assume I'll be able to use it with just the serial interface.

-Tor
Attachments
replica1ten-24-small.jpg
Soldered Replica1ten no. 24
replica1ten-24-small.jpg (149.93 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
Tor6502

Postby Tor6502 » Apr Wed 23, 2014 12:20 am

Update: My #24 checked out fine with the voltmeter, installed all ICs and tested via the USB serial interface (as I don't have the RCA video connector as mentioned above). I use Minicom on Linux, everything works. Krusader, monitor, Integer Basic and Applesoft Basic. Been a long time since I last saw that ] prompt.. :)

It took a few extra days before I could test it, my old laptop computer only has USB 1/1 and 100mA so I figured that would be insufficient - didn't take any chances. But yesterday I got a powered USB hub from a nearby shop, it can provide 1A per USB socket. Working fine!

-Tor
Tor6502

Return to replica 1 General Discussion