16K replica 1 plus rom image?

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

16K replica 1 plus rom image?

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 10:41 am

hi there,
I'm toying around with the idea of hardwiring an Apple 1 based on the Replica 1 plus. ( It will keep me busy while I wait for customs to release my Altair 8800micro). And i was hoping to get a copy of the 16k ROM image used in it for messing about with. Is that 16K rom image available anywhere? If I am not mistaken, It basically has two rom images in it. the usual 8K rom with integer basic, Krusader 1.3 and the Woz monitor....and another 8k with apple soft lite, Krusader 1.3 and the Woz Monitor. (switchable with the Jumper from A15 to gnd if memory serves...) At any rate, I was wondering where I could get a copy ... if it's available...

I know that Ken Wessen has 8k rom's available on his site, but i was wondering where i might find the latest rom image used in the Replica 1 plus. I hope I'm not breaking any rules inquiring about it... and I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough in creating my own. Is it possible for someone to dump their rom, and post it? or perhaps link to one that might be online?

Any help would be appreciated. I have all the parts for a replica 1 in my parts drawer...and an eprom programmer (and U.V. eraser)
waltermixxx

Re: 16K replica 1 plus rom image?

Postby tranter » Apr Tue 21, 2015 10:52 am

Click on Downloads on the main page for this site and you will find a link for "Current replica 1 plus CD". It should be included there. I haven't checked as I do not have a Replica 1 Plus.
tranter

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 11:01 am

I checked, and it's not included, tons of other very helpful files are,
all the other details, manuals, schematics and the firmware for the propeller is, just not the 27c128 rom image.

Wondering where we might find it? :)
waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Thank you for the link, Is this the 16k version?
I checked briefly from my phone, and the file size reported 8k.

I can check again from my computer when I get back from lunch.
waltermixxx

Postby jac_goudsmit » Apr Tue 21, 2015 12:55 pm

waltermixxx wrote:Thank you for the link, Is this the 16k version?
I checked briefly from my phone, and the file size reported 8k.

I can check again from my computer when I get back from lunch.

Sorry I removed the post after I realized you were looking for the 16K image (apparently after you read it, and before you posted your answer). I only have the 8K ROMs, probably downloaded from Ken Wessen's site (I don't remember).

It should be pretty easy to use a binary editor like WinHex to build a 16K image, if you have an image of the Applesoft ROM. Would you happen to know where I can find one? I'll see what I can do.

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 12:59 pm

I will look around for the 8k rom with AppleSoft lite, Krusader, and Woz monitor.
And perhaps some one could join them with check sum's etc?

Unless someone can dump their 16k rom from their Replica 1 plus (assuming it's ok to do so...)

Cheers.
waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 1:36 pm

http://cowgod.org/replica1/applesoft/applesoft-r1.bin

On iPad and not able to check it, but this could be it...

(8k AppleSoft lite, that is. )
waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 1:38 pm

ok just to tidy this up, Here is where we get the standard 8k rom file for the briel Replica 1 TE that contains the Woz monitor, Integer basic, and Krusader 1.3 (folks correct me if I am wrong)

http://school.anhb.uwa.edu.au/personalp ... usader.htm

here is where we find information and the down load file for the 8k version of applesoft lite, which includes AppleSoft Lite, and the Woz monitor only.

https://cowgod.org/replica1/applesoft/

No jumper ( A15 pulled up ) means integer basic, so this means the standard Rom should be pasted in after the 8k of the AppleSoft/Woz file...

help? :)
waltermixxx

Postby jac_goudsmit » Apr Tue 21, 2015 3:00 pm

You can download the image files from my Github: https://github.com/jacgoudsmit/L-Star/b ... are/Apple1.

The 6502.rom.bin file contains integer basic, Krusader and Woz Mon.

There's also a 65C02.rom.bin file which contains the version of Krusader that supports the 65C02 opcodes; the BASIC interpreter and Woz mon are the same as in 6502.rom.bin

Just now, I connected my Replica 1Ten and generated a hexdump with the jumper ON, and converted the result to AppleSoftBasic.rom.bin which you can also find in the location above.

Finally, I combined the AppleSoftBasic.rom.bin image with the 6502.rom.bin image and created the 16K EPROM image in the ZIP file attached to this post. The AppleSoftBasic ROM is in the lower half of the 16K image, the Integer Basic ROM is in the upper half. Krusader and Woz mon are duplicated between the two halves.

Hope this helps!

===Jac
Attachments
Replica1TenROM.zip
Binary 16K ROM image reverse-engineered from ROM dumps on the Replica 1Ten.
(13.14 KiB) Downloaded 950 times
jac_goudsmit

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 3:04 pm

Cool thank you :)

once i get my Briel Replicator 1plus wire wrapped and working, I will give this a shot,
in the mean time, i will burn it into a rom :)

thanks again :)
waltermixxx

Postby jac_goudsmit » Apr Tue 21, 2015 3:11 pm

You could also just solder a 65C02 onto a Propeller proto board (RAM chip optional; no EPROM required either) and make an L-Star. And the nice thing is that you can turn that into a Superboard emulator too ;-)

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 3:15 pm

I will have to google that!
:) sounds interesting :)

is it like a propedle? ( I think it's called? )
waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Tue 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Krafty....
very cool :)

I was checking on the github for a schematic in pdf format, but there were only pdf's of the components,
not of the actual propeller and 6502... :) at least i could not seem to find it :)

I'm sorry if this is going outside of the Replica 1 scope, perhaps pm me the schematic?
this looks like a very cool project...

:)
waltermixxx

Postby jac_goudsmit » Apr Tue 21, 2015 5:09 pm

If you click on the Releases button, it will take you to a location where you can download the schematics of the first pre-release as PDF. It has a bit of feature-creep so you may want to eliminate the jumpers and the expansion bus; the Apple 1 and Superboard emulators will work fine without those (if you wire them up in the default configuration as mentioned in the text blob on the schematic).

The current state of the schematics is a little different from the PDF's; you'll have to use a recent build of Kicad to look at them. The differences aren't really significant, though, so if you just want to see how I did it, the ones at the link above will do just fine.

You can also use Fritzing to look at a breadboard version, by the way; that might be a little easier to build if you just want to play around a bit. The file is in the Hardware/Fritzing directory in Github.

I also want to post some pictures of building it on a Parallax USB Proto Board, but I haven't had time for the project for a while. There's also no significant write-up online anywhere, though I made a start at https://hackaday.io/project/3620.

I also used L-Star to fix my MicroKim: basically I wired up a Propeller (on a QuickStart board) to the MicroKim expansion connector and temporarily turned my MicroKim into an Apple-1 by running the PIA emulator software and disabling the on-board ROM. Then, I figured I could just let the KIM and Apple-1 ROMs co-exist because the KIM ROM expects to be at a different address anyway. The result is a bizarre contraption that is both a KIM and an Apple, but could also be used as a MicroKim expansion (for example, in theory it would be possible to make KIM Basic available in virtual ROM or RAM). I called it KimStar and created a separate hackaday project for it (https://hackaday.io/project/4418) but it's part of the L-Star github repo.

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby waltermixxx » Apr Thu 23, 2015 3:18 pm

I started wirewrapping my Briel Replica 1plus the other day, (first time wire wrapping...) much nicer than point to point wiring especially when doing address and data busses when you know you will have at least 3 wires coming off the same soldering point. i bought 8 colours of wirewrap 30 gage solid core.

Red for +5 volts
Dark Blue for +3.3 volts
Black for Gnd
Green for Data lines
Light Blue for address lines
White inter-connect signals
Orange PIA input port
Yellow PIA output port

I will post some pictures when I can.

I'm not sure I can post my progress here, or if it's appropriate. My Briel Altair 8800micro arrived so I an working on that... :) I will continue this once I finish up with my 8800 :)
waltermixxx

Next

Return to replica 1 General Discussion