Low Cost replica 1?

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Low Cost replica 1?

Postby vbriel » Apr Sat 25, 2009 12:17 am

I was messing around with my replica 1 TE design and I started thinking about what a minimum system would look like. Just video, keyboard, 44 pin slot, no serial or ATX, small power switch. I was able to shrink the board down to 7" X 4". When I substituted machined sockets for older duel swipe style, I found that I could actually offer a replica 1 for under $100 in kit form. With machine sockets for $110. Keep in mind that this is really stripped down but still very apple 1 compatible.

What do you think? Is it worth a run? I figured in this economy, this might be the time to go for this.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby mfortuna » Apr Sat 25, 2009 7:09 am

IMHO the serial port is a must. Without it, you would need a CFFA1 to load programs.
Mike

Replica1 SE with CFFA1
MicroKim
PockeTerm
mfortuna

Postby lorddoomicus » Apr Sat 25, 2009 10:25 am

I would rather have a serial port than keyboard and video ports. You can always connect a terminal to it, or even a pocket term ... OR create some kind of video based i/o board for the expansion slot.

I know this would be less like a real apple 1, but it would make it more useful.

- Derrik
Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
http://www.doomd.net
lorddoomicus

Postby vbriel » Apr Sat 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Yeah, let me see if there is a way to squeeze the serial port into the price range and board size. There is a circuit for the Propeller that doesn't use a charge pump max232, just a couple transistors, caps and resistors. That might fit and fit the price.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby hanso » Apr Tue 28, 2009 11:40 am

vbriel wrote:Yeah, let me see if there is a way to squeeze the serial port into the price range and board size. There is a circuit for the Propeller that doesn't use a charge pump max232, just a couple transistors, caps and resistors. That might fit and fit the price.

Vince

Replica 1 LE 1 ;)
hanso

Postby vbriel » Apr Tue 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Replica 1 LE 1 ;)

Close, I was thinking LC (Low Cost).

Parallax has a RS232 interface connection circuit that I still need to take a look at. I think it has a lot of limitations though.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Kallikak » Apr Tue 28, 2009 9:05 pm

I'd prefer no serial port. This is a minimal version and it's easy enough to build a better serial port - and this is a kit after all. I have fast serial port and external ROM and sound etc all hanging off the expansion port on mine.

Ken
Kallikak

Postby Mojoseph_12 » Apr Wed 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Ya I agree, making a serial port is easy enough. Plus when making a minimal system you only use wut is need to make it work the serial port is not necessary. Granted it will suck to type long programs but if you want efficiency buy the TE.
Mojoseph_12

Postby AndyC » Apr Thu 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Have you thought about taking it the other way - keep the serial port and lose the composite output and the keyboard interface? That would cut down the cost massively and still leave a fully functional computer for those that are more interested in developing software.

Andy.
http://vectrex.playntradeonline.com - Home of the 72 in 1 Vectrex Multucart
http://www.rastervision.co.uk - UK based electronics design, prototyping and manufacture
AndyC

Postby Mojoseph_12 » May Sat 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Than its not the replica 1 no more. If you wanted to do software they have emulators you can download. it would cost nothing. I think the whole point is to have a low cost replica 1 wit just the bare bones. Getting rid of the video and keyboard makes it not a replica of the apple 1. might as well just program a micro controller to simulate the apple 1.

We are moving away from the original purpose of the replica 1 :(
wut happen to programing the old fashion way spending hours putting in code now we just download wit a click of a button. The pride that you get when all those hours spent and when you hit run it works.
Mojoseph_12

Postby vbriel » May Sat 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Not to get off topic but has anybody read the story Woz told about the Apple 1 and typing in BASIC by hand at the West Coast computer show. That would be just something else.

I did it on the original replica 1 and it took me 2 days with breaks to do it.

The replica 1 must have a keyboard and display ports. This is what set the apple 1 apart from other computers of the day.

It only takes a small board and like 2 chips for a serial port. A small crafty boot loader and you are ready to go.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Embedded Replica 1?

Postby Aaron Teeling » May Mon 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Get rid of everything except the I/O port and a way to transfer code.

Isn't the Propeller set up for USB without a lot of support?
Aaron Teeling

Postby mfortuna » May Tue 05, 2009 10:48 am

USB sounds like a reasonable idea. Here is a pointer to a USB slave that requires 2 cogs, 3 ports and 3 resistors.
Mike

Replica1 SE with CFFA1
MicroKim
PockeTerm
mfortuna

Postby hanso » May Tue 05, 2009 2:59 pm

mfortuna wrote:USB sounds like a reasonable idea. Here is a pointer to a USB slave that requires 2 cogs, 3 ports and 3 resistors.

This? http://forums.parallax.com/forums/defau ... 216569&p=1
hanso

Re: Embedded Replica 1?

Postby Kallikak » May Wed 06, 2009 12:11 am

Aaron Teeling wrote:Get rid of everything except the I/O port and a way to transfer code.

The keyboard is the way to transfer code :-)

When I was much younger, I used to spend 4 hours typing in code to a homebrew computer (not of my making) so I could play for 30 minutes and then have to turn the machine off and lose everything. The good old days!

Ken
Last edited by Kallikak on May Wed 06, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kallikak

Next

Return to replica 1 General Discussion