Replica 1 SE improvements

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Postby Kallikak » Mar Wed 29, 2006 10:23 pm

programsynthesiser wrote:Will the voltage regulator on the board make it capable of handling a 6 volt battery?

The voltage drop across the 7805 would probably be too large. I think you'd need 7V+ for the battery.
Kallikak

Postby programsynthesiser » Mar Thu 30, 2006 11:12 pm

What about 12? How much does the voltage regulator cut down by?
It works!
programsynthesiser

Postby vbriel » Mar Fri 31, 2006 10:30 pm

rocketo2000 wrote:the regulator needs an input voltage of at least 7 volts but not more than 12 volts

Yeah, that sounds right. Doesn't somebody already have this setup with their replica? I'll have to dig through the forums but IIRC somebody already did this and it works correctly. Also, you can use a 5V brick supply but make sure it is at least 400-500mA or it will no be strong enough.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Kallikak » Apr Sat 01, 2006 5:51 am

vbriel wrote:
rocketo2000 wrote:the regulator needs an input voltage of at least 7 volts but not more than 12 volts

Yeah, that sounds right. Doesn't somebody already have this setup with their replica? I'll have to dig through the forums but IIRC somebody already did this and it works correctly. Also, you can use a 5V brick supply but make sure it is at least 400-500mA or it will no be strong enough.

Vince

I did it with mine. I use an old 10V/750mA mobile phone charger with a 7805. It doesn't get too hot, but I clipped on a little heat sink anyway - just to make it easier.
Kallikak

Postby programsynthesiser » Apr Sat 01, 2006 5:45 pm

Sounds great, I will search for a 7805. Chances are, I might have one available to me for free.

What is the deal with www.7805.org? I was hoping it was a resource like www.6502.org, but it looks like a blog or something. Could someone post a link of where I can learn how to use the 7805?
It works!
programsynthesiser

Postby vbriel » Apr Sun 02, 2006 9:27 am

Sure, here ya go. Not my site but one that looks like it will give you the information you need.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... involt.htm

Data sheet:

https://www.jameco.com/wcsstore/Jameco/ ... 192233.pdf

The key thing to remember is you are going to need caps to clean up the incoming power. If you don't your circuit won't work.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby programsynthesiser » Apr Sun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Hah, the capacitor statement just completely blew by my head. I think I need to learn some first. :shock:
It works!
programsynthesiser

Postby vbriel » Apr Thu 06, 2006 1:54 pm

Nah, it is easier than you think. There are 3 connectors on the 7805 TO220 Input Ouput and ground put a cap between Input and GND and another one between Ouput and GND. .22uF on the Input side and .1uF on the ouput side.

Replica 1 update: I removed the wall brick power supply option for the moment. The reason is because of the switch issue. The power switch right now will connect to GND and PS-ON on the ATX power supply. I want the same switch to control the voltage coming into the voltage regulator and it just can't be done. I may put the voltage regulator in and the connector for the wall power supply but there would be no on/off switch. A second on/off switch just isn't going to cut it. I'm trying to keep part useage down and other logistics to keep the price from being too high.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Kallikak » Apr Thu 06, 2006 6:51 pm

vbriel wrote:Nah, it is easier than you think. There are 3 connectors on the 7805 TO220 Input Ouput and ground put a cap between Input and GND and another one between Ouput and GND. .22uF on the Input side and .1uF on the ouput side.

The 7805 is quite tolerant of input anyway, so I don't think the exact value of the input capacitor is particularly important (but trust the experts rather than me!). However, it is not at all tolerant of reversed polarity input, so I'd certainly recommend adding a protective diode as well.
Kallikak

Postby programsynthesiser » Apr Thu 06, 2006 10:09 pm

The voltage regulator would still get warm, but could you put the switch after the power output from it instead?
It works!
programsynthesiser

Postby vbriel » Apr Fri 07, 2006 12:06 pm

I have an idea that might work. I could take the GND from the input side of the power brick and make that part of the switch sense the power switch is GND to power good. That should do it but I'll run some test first before taking it to the board. Other than double/triple checking my work, I'm ready to do the board layout. So, I should be ordering a prototype in a couple of weeks. Software catches most errors, but there's always one or two that slip by somehow :(

Still need an decision on the name. Should I just keep it as replica 1 and make it a rev 2.0 or what?

Here's a rough idea of the power layout with ATX and brick connector.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby programsynthesiser » Apr Fri 07, 2006 5:15 pm

You could make it a joke and have it be the Replica 1.5... ;)

Revision? You have already done revisions, this should probably be under a completely different name. However, the Replica 2 would not be appropriate, for obvious reasons.

I honestly don't see anything terrible about Replica SE. It does the job. But hey, I might as well push my 1.5 idea, eh? :)
It works!
programsynthesiser

Postby cheese1113 » Apr Fri 07, 2006 6:55 pm

Replica 1 rev. 2 sounds good to me.
Max Wooden
cheese1113

Postby programsynthesiser » Apr Sat 08, 2006 3:52 am

He already did Revision A, B, and C - that is the point I was making.

Come on Vince, I bet that you can come up with an appropriate name. :P
It works!
programsynthesiser

Postby vbriel » Apr Sat 08, 2006 9:03 am

Yeah, probably. When I think back on Apple and how Woz did most of the engineering work, I don't give Jobs any credit. In reality, his help with the Apple II case design and switching power supply made a big impact. Two different creative brains that formed a great idea. The style of the Apple II still looks stylish today.

Right now, I not only battle how to make the new replica 1 easier for beginners but what to call it. On the technical side I want to call it SE for second edition or maybe even call it replica 1 USB because it will have USB. Rev A-C were very minor mods for reasons of the keyboard, or the video bug but nothing was as big as this. New software, new board house, all new layout with everything onboard (easier for me).

FYI, I never put the serial onboard because I thought maybe somebody with an Apple 1 might want a serial board. It is 100% compatible with Apple 1 staying with the compatibility factor. However, considering the low number of Apple 1's out there, I have enough serial boards for a while. With everything onboard, it will make things easier on everybody.

Note: The new through holes for the IC's will be oval making it easier on beginners to solder. I have found that a larger contact point is easier to work with. This should help those who have less experience soldering :)

I may have some program pics to post of the progress soon, maybe even a 3D image of what the board may look like.
vbriel
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to replica 1 General Discussion