Replica 1 SE improvements

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Postby cheese1113 » May Thu 18, 2006 9:07 pm

Haven't heard in a while. How's the replica going?
Also, great pics from VCF. I think a training board similar to the OSI 300 would be awesome! I'm glad the Altair was popular, I think you have a winner with this project!
Max Wooden
cheese1113

Postby vbriel » May Sat 20, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks. Man, the AltairPC was great at the show. There was a guy across from me doing an OS/2 warp display that thought all day that it was a real Altair. Many people came up to the display and thought it was real until I would open up the front panel to access the DVD drive.

While I was mainly showcasing the AltairPC, the replica 1SE was also on display and I really got more time to work with it and test it out. I did run into one time after it was on for hours that the USB port locked and I actually had to reboot the PC to get communication back to the replica. Strange but PC's can be like that sometimes. The replica on the other hand performed flawless! I used a 6V power supply, my mini ps/2 keyboard and the USB cable and my mini 7" LCD. With the right work this could have been a portable replica 1.

Well, I made some adjustments to hole size so the hardware fits a little loose and adjusted the silkscreen. Now I just need to do a last prototype and write the new manual.

Sorry, no SE are available yet, but soon!

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » May Wed 24, 2006 5:56 pm

Power by USB:

I've added wire jumper holes for clear screen and reset so you can put external buttons on a case. Now, there is an interesting thing about the USB interface. You "can" power the replica 1 off the USB bus.

Since the replica 1 draws approx 250mA it falls within the 500mA specs of being connected to a direct USB port and not a powered USB hub. I've tried this method and it does work but it really bothers me because of the risk of somebody doing damage to their system. This does open the possibility of somebody damaging their USB port on their pc if things go wrong. What I'm doing is adding a jumper for this option and I will discuss this option in depth and the dangers of doing it this way.

Other than that, it is cool to have the PC power the replica off the USB port.

A final prototype will be ordered tomorrow!

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby cheese1113 » May Wed 24, 2006 7:56 pm

Sweet idea on the usb power!
Max Wooden
cheese1113

Postby fynch » May Wed 24, 2006 9:16 pm

I still think USB Host would be an excellent feature... opening up new display ideas, keyboard compatibility, flash storage, etc.

I know it's not completely technically possible, but it would be interesting to see a expansion card that does that or even have it built in the to the Replica 1 SE SE. (Or is it TE?)
fynch

Postby mrbill » May Sun 28, 2006 12:23 am

vbriel wrote:Since the replica 1 draws approx 250mA it falls within the 500mA specs of being connected to a direct USB port and not a powered USB hub. I've tried this method and it does work but it really bothers me because of the risk of somebody doing damage to their system. This does open the possibility of somebody damaging their USB port on their pc if things go wrong. What I'm doing is adding a jumper for this option and I will discuss this option in depth and the dangers of doing it this way.

Just recommend that people hang the R1 off a powered USB hub instead of directly off the PC. USB 1.1 hubs are almost free nowdays.
mrbill

Postby vbriel » Jun Sat 03, 2006 10:21 am

Yeah, the MM232 manual gives conflicting statements on powering a device off of it. I would think that you would want to run a hi-powered device off of the powered USB hub.

Well, after some more input I made a final change to the replica 1 SE before I do a final prototype test run. Some people still wanted to be able to have the standard serial interface. With the new SE design, you can't attach the old serial I/O board to the SE because most of the circuit is integrated onto the SE now and it doesn't work. So, I added the DB-9 and 232 driver IC to the SE so that people can have a choice of connection.

The only flaw I've found with the USB is that when you disconnect and reconnect it makes it a different comm port # on my machine running XP. This could just be my machine, or the way it is going to be. The USB connection is 10X better than standard serial and I really prefer it.

Now, next week I'll prototype run a batch and we can get this kits rolling out. People are getting anxious!

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Previous

Return to replica 1 General Discussion