Programming in machine code

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Programming in machine code

Postby George » Oct Fri 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi, I have a fairly firm grasp of BASIC on the replica 1 now, and wanted to give machine code programming a shot, or hexadecimal data sort of stuff, it seems quite interesting after reading about it, and would like some information on how to get started! I'm aware of the KRUSADER assembler built into the memory, but thats not the same as the one used in the Woz monitor is it? Just a little confused as to where to get started, I tried reading the MOS manual that came with the kit, but couldn't find much of a tutorial.
Any help would be nice!
George

Re: Programming in machine code

Postby GaryCameron » Nov Sat 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Woz' monitor was not an assembler. The monitor is used to enter instructions into memory locations and list and run programs. That is about it.

Steve Wozniak wrote most of the code for the Apple I and II either directly as machine code or hand assembled it on paper.

The Apple II I believe came with something called mini-assembler which was a rudimentary assembler.
GaryCameron

Re: Programming in machine code

Postby Kallikak » Nov Sun 14, 2010 6:40 pm

There is a one-to-one mapping between assembly language and machine code (macros aside - not supported in Krusader or Woz's Apple II mini-assembler at any rate) so there is absolutely no gain working in machine code rather than assembly. You do exactly the same thing, but with an assembler you can read your code and don't have to remember the numeric values for the instructions.

Where playing with machine code directly comes in a little more is using the minimonitor.
Kallikak

Return to replica 1 General Discussion