A question regarding the Apple I / Replica

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

A question regarding the Apple I / Replica

Postby Des » Mar Sat 12, 2011 6:18 am

I have been doing a bit of reading about the Apple 1 lately, but couldn't find an answer to this, does it run the same software as an Apple II?

From what I rather there wasn't really much commercial software written for the Apple I, so apart from the obvious tinkering around with electronics, what did people actually do with it? Maybe this also applies to Replica 1 owners.
-
Kind Regards
Des
Des

Re: A question regarding the Apple I / Replica

Postby wmmullaney » Mar Sun 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Thy have the same processor, but completely different memory maps. Assembly code would need to be patched. On the other hand, simple applesoft basic code does run under cowgod's applesoft lite program.

From reading about early owners, people did lots of stuff with them. Hardware hacks, wiring the s-100 bus, printers, video cards and teletypes. Many programs were also written and given to other members of the club. It's hard to answer, everyone wanted computers then, for a large part because they were cool, the Apple 1 in particular couldn't do any real productivity work.

Personally I use my replica to mess around with assembly in krusader, hack hardware and write for it, and interface and control other projects.
Adventures with the 6502 - Retro computing from a highschooler's perspective.
wmmullaney

Return to replica 1 General Discussion