Another kit working fine, keyboard USB-PS/2 problem solved

Talk about the PockeTerm, updates, and uses

Another kit working fine, keyboard USB-PS/2 problem solved

Postby hanso » Mar Tue 10, 2009 6:43 am

I have succesfully assembled the kit, the manual guided me just fine through the steps. Took me just over an hour.

The PockeTerm worked right away. Thanks to mfortuna's tip, put jumpers in 1&2 and 5&6, and testing is independent of cables and computers to connect.

A standard keyboard with PS/2 worked. What did not work was my mini-USB keyboard (standard PC keyboard without numerical pad, and smaller size, like notebook keyboards) connected via an USB to PS/2 converter dongle thingie, so time to check. The USB keyboard is ok, works with the PC's and the Apple 1 kits via the USB-PS/2 dongle. I bought it because the smaller size looks better with the small computers and takes less deskspace

With the scope I found the PS/2 clock/data line (cant remember which one), to be open, as if nothing connected. So something is missing to make the USB device come alive. I googled around and found this: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/edu/28060-PS2Adapter-v1.0.pdf

In it I saw a schematic how to connect a Parallax mini PS/2 keyboard, and it was different from the PockeTerm PS/2 interface. It has additional 10k pullups connected to the PS/2 clock and data. I soldered in the two 10k's and the mini keyboard came alive!

Hans
hanso

Postby vbriel » Mar Tue 10, 2009 7:43 am

Wow, yeah, the pullup resistors were left off the PockeTerm but this is the first time I've seen it be an issue. I've tried several keyboards including many cheap cheap cheap keyboards and they all functioned correctly.

I'll make room for the 2 additional resistors in the next batch of boards just to be sure.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby hanso » Mar Tue 10, 2009 9:49 am

Tested the PockeTerm with my Micro-KIM at 1200 baud : works.

Also tested with several LCD screens, 1024x768, 1280x1024 types. Both worked fine, though a refresh frequency of 69 Hz is not optima for LCD, 60 Hz would be better.

The choice of color settings is nice, I do like green or amber or white :). The status/menu is fixed color alas. Can it be switched off?
hanso

Postby vbriel » Mar Tue 10, 2009 1:09 pm

No you can't change status color but I can add that, or maybe somebody else can.

I'm going to release a different version of the firmware that doesn't have the status display at the bottom and in different resolutions. It will give the user more options. I can't do it until I get a little caught up on things.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: Another kit working fine, keyboard USB-PS/2 problem solv

Postby dderny » Dec Wed 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Is the 10k pullup the right solution to solve usb-ps/2 adapter problem with pocketerm ?
I'm rather stuck, unable to find a ps/2 keyboard nor any working usb to ps/2 adapters

thanks

--
didier
dderny

Re: Another kit working fine, keyboard USB-PS/2 problem solv

Postby dderny » Dec Fri 16, 2011 7:14 pm

I tried the 10k pullup hack but no success for me
all the PS/2 keyboards I found where just an usb one with an adaptator

this board looks great but without a working keyboard it's useless
if the propeller is so buggy I dont see any use of this chip.
dderny

Return to PockeTerm General Discussion