Correction, my PockeTerm is NOT working... help!

Talk about the PockeTerm, updates, and uses

Correction, my PockeTerm is NOT working... help!

Postby pitlog » Sep Mon 06, 2010 1:03 pm

I thought it was working because I got the menu on my screen and was able to change options from the keyboard, but once I got a straight through serial cable and hooked it up, I discovered that there was no communication with the host. Here's what I've found/tried:
  • All solder joints look good
  • Both voltage regulators showing good voltages
  • ICs appear to be seated in their sockets correctly and pointing in the right direction
  • The serial port on the host is working correctly at 9600 with a vt200 I have here
  • I've tried both standard and null modem header setups, though I'm using a standard cable
So what's next in the way of troubleshooting. I have a VOM and a logic probe, but no scope.

Any help?

Thanks,
Tom
pitlog

Re: Correction, my PockeTerm is NOT working... help!

Postby vbriel » Sep Tue 07, 2010 6:54 am

turn the jumpers horizontal across the jumper instead of up and down and that creates a loopback. See if you can just type and what you type appears on the screen.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby pitlog » Sep Tue 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Vince,

Thanks!

Yup, I can type just fine with the jumpers horizontal. What does that mean?

Tom
pitlog

Postby vbriel » Sep Tue 07, 2010 5:40 pm

This test confirms that the pocketerm is able to send and receive data. That was a loopback test. Your issue is either the cable is incorrect or the host port is different or bad. Make sure you are not setup on the host device for some type of hardware handshaking, make sure your baud rate matches and the host device must use 8 data bit and 1 stop bit. No flow control.

If you know the host device port works, I would start with the cable.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby pitlog » Sep Tue 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Well now I'm pretty stumped. I tried it with three different cables on a known good port that a terminal works on quite well. As a matter of fact, I used the same null modem cable I used with the terminal and still no-go. I did remember to change the headers :)

The port is set up 9600/8/N/1 and uses the old xon/xoff flow control, which should work with any terminal, I suppose. <ctrl>S and <ctrl>P have no effect. Should it work like this?

Any other ideas before I try finding another cable to try out? I might have to buy one, but am ok with that if you can't think of anything else.

Thanks for your help, Vince!

Tom
pitlog

Postby GHerzog » Sep Thu 29, 2011 12:40 pm

XON/XOFF? Look at the schematic, flow control lines are not supported. You have to bridge this feature with a jumper wire to get it to work OR turn off the XON/XOFF.
GHerzog

Return to PockeTerm General Discussion