UK Keyboard Support

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

UK Keyboard Support

Postby Caterman » May Fri 08, 2015 10:58 am

Hi All
Been looking around for a while to see if the keyboard.spin has been adapted/updated for other keyboards apart from just US. I was going to patch the scan codes etc but it seems as if the £ sign is not even implemented. Has anyone had any joy!
Or do I stop banging my head against a wall and simply get a US keyboard :lol: .
Does anyone know of a way of getting a £ symbol to show up!
Thanks
Dave
Caterman

Re: UK Keyboard Support

Postby garryj » May Fri 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Does anyone know of a way of getting a £ symbol to show up!
The terminal emulates what was available in the day, which was 7-bit US ASCII. The U.S. keyboard shift-3 "#" character, ASCII code 35 (decimal) is used to represent the British sterling pound currency symbol. You may or may not know that on this side of the pond, shift-3 (#) is called the "pound" symbol -- not for currency, but for weight. So that's my guess as to why "£" ended up as shift-3 on the U.K. keyboard layout :?:. Neither the composite or VGA character sets the Propeller chip uses include the "£" symbol. Both character sets are RAM-based, so the pound symbol would have to be coded in to replace "#".
garryj
----------
garryj

Re: UK Keyboard Support

Postby Caterman » May Fri 08, 2015 1:34 pm

I wonder what happened when they started selling supacalc etc to the UK :shock:
#=hash as in hash tag!
#=No. (Number off)
#=pound
And to cap it all you put the date in the wrong order (m/d/y) should be (d/m/y) how did that happen :D
I think I'm going to have go the U.S. Keyboard route!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just out of curiosity how is the fonts coded into RAM
Only one that has addressed this problem, it seems, is the ASCII Video Terminal Board - but this is using a PIC! = http://geoffg.net/terminal.html
Caterman

Return to Altair 8800 Micro