R3PLAY Show UK

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

R3PLAY Show UK

Postby hal2710 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 3:01 am

Hello All,

Not sure how many of you will be interested, but after all the talk about the "Vintage Computer Festival Midwest", I was looking for somthing similar a little closer to home.

I live in England and I have found a show on in Blackpool on the weekend of November 6/7 2010. Here is a link to the website:- http://www.r3play.info/

I have got tickets for the Sunday show and hope to grab a few bits and pieces of kit while there, I'm really excited about seeing all the old computers and Arcade machines all in the one show.

Any chance to see "Vince" selling a few of his kits at the show ??

I hope to meet any fellow Briel Computer users there.

See you soon...

Michael
hal2710

Re: R3PLAY Show UK

Postby Aaron Teeling » Nov Thu 25, 2010 11:39 am

Michael,

So how was the retro computer show in Blackpool? dis you see an of Vince's machine running about?

Aaron
Aaron Teeling,
Replica 1, Rev C, SE, TE, Multi-Board, Expansion Board, CFFA1, PockeTerm and PockeTerm Prototype, Micro-Kim, 32K Board, COMSAC ELF 2000, N8VEM, SBC6120 with Front Panel, Altair680Kit
Aaron Teeling

Postby hal2710 » Feb Wed 02, 2011 2:10 pm

Wow doesn't time fly...

Sorry for the slow reply or should that be r3ply ?

I dragged our clan there on the Sunday. Great venue with a really large show floor. There were so many old video arcade machines there for me it was just like the old arcades I used to "live in" in my youth. All the games were free and we spent ages on "Donkey Kong" and "Frogger" and "Star Wars"

I personally enjoyed seeing so many old home computers, like the Sinclair ZX Spectrum and Commodore Amigas and a few BBC Micros. What is great is that most of these different computers now have Compact Flash drives and/or Internet connection bring new life back into them. "Twittter" from a Speccy 48k WTF

The kids loved playing outrun on the Sega Megadrive and we had a family shootout on a small hand held "Pong" machine (I lost btw). We didn't have a go but they had set up two big XBOX360 ring of machines all playing counter strike and Halo looked really serious fun.

The oldest computer I found was in the "The National Museum of Computing" room, they had a few pieces of the World War II code breaking mahine "Colossus" that was very cool. They also had a PDP machine that they were fixing, the insides were all "Hand tied wire wraps" looked massively complex but they said they were making progress. Hope they fixed it by now.

I didn't see any old Apple related stuff but asked about and found a couple of people who had heard about the Apple 1 replica. I had a few pictures of my Micro Altair 8800 kit with me and gave most of them away. A few very interested types took this website address, I hope they have made it here ?

There was a company there that sells brand new PC based Arcade machine cabinets, I had the credit card out, but got that look from "She who must be obeyed" :-( The "Where are we going to PUT that ?" argument won out, but I've got there number !

Overall verdict was a great day out, the kids loved it. My wife saw that my computing madness is well shared by others "GEEKS" and I was felt like I was about 12 years old again and remembered how that quick game of ManicMiner at bedtime lasted 6 hours LOL.

I hope they have another one, I'd go tomorrow.

Michael
hal2710

Postby rickysmith2050 » Jan Fri 27, 2012 6:48 am

First of all let me tell you, you have got a great post .I am interested in looking for more of such topics and would like to have further information. Hope to see the next post soon.
rickysmith2050

Return to Altair 8800 Micro