Altair 8800 PC

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

Altair 8800 PC

Postby Des » Mar Thu 17, 2011 11:54 pm

Thought I would start a new thread, copied this from here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=524&start=15

vbriel wrote:Thanks for asking questions guys, it was like a cave in here for a while, thought I was talking to myself :)

Full sized version will be offered as a single board and front panel bezel, and also as a full sized case that will hold a PC system, AKA the AltairPC. It's really early to price something that I don't even have a current prototype of, but just the front panel will be somewhere around $199-$250. The full case will depend on where I can get a case made at a good price. Completely custom cases do cost money to be made. The first prototype AltairPC that I made was simply a hacked up desktopcase, not good enough for any production.

Here's my plan moving forward:

1. Finish the Altair 8800 micro, go into production on that. (by June)
2. Convert the design over to a larger single board deisgn
3. Adjust/remove features on the single board design as needed
4. Adjust firmware code for the added LED's to be more Altair like
5. Check with protocase company on having custom case made

Most of the hard work is done, this is easier stuff to do, these steps just take longer.

On the AltairPC version, I don't think it needs the Pocketerm section, just a serial port. This will change how firmware gets flashed, but it's still possible to be able to update firmware.

Remember, the AltairPC isn't going to be some full Altair S100 box system, Grant already offered that. The AltairPC will be a PC case with an Altair front panel. Get your retro fix with modern hardware.

Nothing on the full sized version is set in stone yet, so your opinions do carry weight here. Yes, I make the final call, but it was people speaking out and contributing info that got me to change the micro back to using toggle switches. If I just can't do something, or don't like the idea, I'll say so, but if I there's something the full size will need in features I haven't mentioned, speak up, please.

Vince

Was just wondering Vince if you have any updates, ideas or thoughts on your Altair PC?

thanks.
-
Kind Regards
Des
Des

Re: Altair 8800 PC

Postby galaga » May Tue 03, 2011 9:20 pm

i don't know if it's still on the cards(vbriel is very busy) but it would not be to hard to buy a micro and build a front panel and run wires?
As there no IC on the front panel..
but you still need to fit it to a pc box at the end of the day!
i cant see a full pc altair kit been under $350 :(
and look at other kits http://www.imsai.net/products/imsai_ser ... roject.htm
its a big task :cry:
galaga

Re: Altair 8800 PC

Postby Des » May Wed 04, 2011 1:42 am

Yep I've been looking at the IMSAI for a few years now but it is still in the prototype/design stage as far as I can make out from their website.

I have been tempted to buy the Briel's baby Altair but then thought maybe the full sized one might be also on the cards for a few months?

I have also looked at the N8VEM but no one seems to offer this one pre built, for me, personally the plus to buying a kit computer from Vince would be that it comes pre-built (cheating I know)

:D
-
Kind Regards
Des
Des

Return to Altair 8800 Micro