Disk Controller board beta run preorders!

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

Re: Disk Controller board beta run preorders!

Postby galaga » Jan Mon 02, 2012 10:34 pm

also check the diode's are not backwards :(
galaga

Postby garryj » Jan Tue 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Also to all:

If you're troubleshooting any disk expansion problems, please use a CP/M 2.2 system image, as the 2.2 BIOS has undergone the most testing. At this stage the state of development of the CP/M 3 BIOS is still considered to be "experimental", and I'd like to see anyone that's having an issue using a "best known" OS version to help cut down the variables on the software side.

Thanks!
garryj
----------
garryj

Postby hal2710 » Jan Wed 04, 2012 5:26 am

Hi Vince,

My kit has arrived ok. Seems it got alittle lost at my local sorting office.

Looking forwards to the build. I'm thinking of doing the capacitor mod to avoid elchucko's catch.

Thanks and Happy New year to all.

Mick
hal2710

Postby kyeakel » Jan Wed 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Well with the cpm22 image, it seems to work just fine. Once I got it working before, I use the cpm302 image. It worked fine if I left the power on and did a reset, BootLoad. If I turned it off and rebooted, it would just scroll the screen with some error. I took this to mean that the image was corrupt. Maybe not, as I loaded the cpm22 image and rebooted, turned it off for several minutes, it still boots. So, looks like the hardware is good.
Thanks for all the help!
Kipp
kyeakel

Postby garryj » Jan Wed 04, 2012 9:02 pm

kyeakel wrote:Well with the cpm22 image, it seems to work just fine. Once I got it working before, I use the cpm302 image. It worked fine if I left the power on and did a reset, BootLoad. If I turned it off and rebooted, it would just scroll the screen with some error. I took this to mean that the image was corrupt. Maybe not, as I loaded the cpm22 image and rebooted, turned it off for several minutes, it still boots. So, looks like the hardware is good.
Thanks for all the help!
Kipp

Glad to hear it looks to be working with CP/M 2.2 :)

The CP/M 3 BIOS still has some kinks to work out, one of them being the cold-start issue you described, though my system has not exhibited it to the extent as yours. Still haven't found the root cause, and trying to find it has been a real head-scratcher so far. CP/M 3 uses a completely different boot method than 2.2 did, and it looks like the system bits get read from disk OK but are short-loaded to system RAM, and repeated warm resets will eventually get the system to boot. Right now my only suspect is a problem with the multi-sector I/O that was new in v3, but as of now still guessing...
garryj
----------
garryj

Postby hal2710 » Jan Sat 07, 2012 6:06 am

It works !!!

I did an "elchucko" mod on the 10uf capacitors, I'm thinking of getting new ones and mounting sideways.
I have got the machine to the A12 Auto-load stage and get the A> every time I reset the machine.
I have used the new FORMAT - Version 0.1 and have loaded the games.dsk to drive B, but how do I play the games ?

I have tried a few times but the system seems to hang ? I think I must have missed something, do I need to load Basic before the games will work ?

I'm not sure but should the backspace work as I seem to get an error if I correct my spelling when typing a command, it is spelled correct but wrong again when I press return.

eg:-

A>DIOR oops typo press backspace and correct to DIR and press return gets you

A>DIR
DIOR?

A>

Still very impressed with the kit. Full marks to everyone concerned with it's development.

Mick
hal2710

Postby vbriel » Jan Sat 07, 2012 9:45 pm

The original Altair basic used _ for backspace, so when you press BACKSPACE by default, I set it to do a virtual _ but the machine actually backspaces on the screen. Sounds confusing but if you just pres CTRL-F6 (function key 6) then the backspace will be normal and it will work the way it should for CP/M.

If you ever go back to the 16K BASIC then try pressing backspace and see what happens. It won't work, but _ will do a virtual backspace. Your settings are stored when you change them so you don't have to do CTRL-F6 more than once.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Kevin Adams » Jan Sat 07, 2012 10:45 pm

What can I do with the USB to serial adapter?

Kevin
Kevin Adams

Postby hal2710 » Jan Sun 08, 2012 6:11 am

Hi Vince,

CTRL-F6 has fixed my backspace problems.

Thanks again, Mick

PS what version of mbasic do you recommend please ?
hal2710

Postby garryj » Jan Sun 08, 2012 3:41 pm

hal2710 wrote:CTRL-F6 has fixed my backspace problems.

PS what version of mbasic do you recommend please ?

BTW, if you want any of the Cntrl-* terminal toggle settings to persist after reset/power-up, you do have to use Ctrl-F8 to save the settings to EEPROM. The only setting that is automatically saved to EEPROM is the Shift-Enter "auto boot" file name entry, and then it's only saved if the file name that was entered was opened and read successfully.

MBASIC.COM v5.21 was a popular CP/M version. Check out sites like http://www.retroarchive.org and http://www.cpm.z80.de/ for starters. Both are excellent resources for all things CP/M.
garryj
----------
garryj

Postby vbriel » Jan Sun 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Ooops, yeah, F8, the PockeTerm does autosave, sorry.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Kevin Adams » Jan Sun 15, 2012 12:17 am

I got mine up and running.

How many of the 20 are now complete?

I replaced the 10 uF capacitors on the main board and laid the new ones on their side.
Desoldering from a doublesided board like this was more challenging than I thought.

This is really kewl! The only bummer is the length of time it takes to mount a .DSK image.

Cheers!

Kevin
Kevin Adams

Previous

Return to Altair 8800 Micro