How many people have the "beta" cassette adapter working and

Get help here getting your replica 1 going

How many people have the "beta" cassette adapter working and

Postby Corey986 » Oct Tue 02, 2012 2:19 pm

If yours works or doesn't work, please post your Replica-1 Version and experience...

Mine isn't and I am a revision 3 Replica-1 with ACI set to ground

I want to understand if the ACI is more consistent with different revisions....

Thanks,
Corey
Last edited by Corey986 on Oct Tue 02, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey986

Re: How many people have the "beta" cassette adapter working

Postby tranter » Oct Tue 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Mine is basically not working - I get a very high error rate when reading. More details have been posted here on the forum. I have a Replica 1 Third Edition.
tranter

Postby PaulB » Oct Wed 03, 2012 3:35 am

Hi Corey,

I Have the R1TE also and still no luck getting much reliability out of the ACI. When ATX power connected, my Keyboard wont work properly, but all is OK with wall wart. Cant figure that..
The ACI operates basically as it should and returns to monitor ok but with bad loads each time. I just changed 74ls74 for 7474 as with Mike Willigals card improvements and still no difference.
Maybe 1% Resistors and 7474 will make a difference, i dont have the resistors here, Have you tried that Corey?.

Paul.
PaulB

Postby Corey986 » Oct Wed 03, 2012 8:55 am

I already went with 1% resistors and even swapped all the chips (except the proms) with a working Apple ACI. Still can't get it to work right on an Apple-1 or Replica-1. I do get better results on the Apple-1 since it returns to the monitor, but I get a bad load. On the Replica-1 it doesn't even return to monitor so I don't think it's working. I am pulling out the scope this morning, so stay tuned.

Cheers,
Corey

PaulB wrote:Hi Corey,

I Have the R1TE also and still no luck getting much reliability out of the ACI. When ATX power connected, my Keyboard wont work properly, but all is OK with wall wart. Cant figure that..
The ACI operates basically as it should and returns to monitor ok but with bad loads each time. I just changed 74ls74 for 7474 as with Mike Willigals card improvements and still no difference.
Maybe 1% Resistors and 7474 will make a difference, i dont have the resistors here, Have you tried that Corey?.

Paul.
Corey986

Postby vbriel » Oct Fri 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I think the problem is simple. I think the batch of EPROM's I got are defective. I have run into a few of them today alone that program and verify but don't work. I just ordered some expensive ATmel ones. Should be in about a week.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Corey986 » Oct Tue 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Vince,

Any update on the replacement eproms?

Thanks,
Corey
Corey986

Postby tranter » Oct Thu 25, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm not convinced it is the EPROM, at least in my case, although I'd be happy if that is it.

I've verified that I can consistently read my EPROM (e.g. running a program that calculates the checksum) and get the correct data. I've also tried using an EEPROM and running the ACI firmware out of RAM. I get results that resemble the right data but with many errors, even when the source is a very clean signal coming from a computer sound card. All the signals look correct to me.
tranter

Postby PaulB » Nov Sat 24, 2012 6:58 am

Hi Tranter & Corey, and anyone else still tinkering with this thing.

You guys had any luck??.
I have received a complete set of replacement components and will also try and burn a 2764 in place of the comos EPROM but for now i have had to shelve it as i will be interstate for a few months, i just wonder if anyone has made any progress in reliability improvements. :|
PaulB

Postby tranter » Nov Sat 24, 2012 11:36 pm

I haven't made any further progress. I'd be interested in hearing the results of testing anyone else has done.
tranter

Postby Corey986 » Nov Thu 29, 2012 12:30 pm

tranter wrote:I'm not convinced it is the EPROM, at least in my case, although I'd be happy if that is it.

I've verified that I can consistently read my EPROM (e.g. running a program that calculates the checksum) and get the correct data. I've also tried using an EEPROM and running the ACI firmware out of RAM. I get results that resemble the right data but with many errors, even when the source is a very clean signal coming from a computer sound card. All the signals look correct to me.

Nope not the EPROM, Vince sent me a replacement and no change in either Apple-1 Mimeo or Replica-1 hardware. I also decided to try putting a 39D 5300uf cap (just like the Apple-1) on the wall wart output just like the Apple-1 has before the voltage regulator and no go. The Apple-1 looks like it gets a bad load, but the Replica-1 doesn't seem to load at all.

I will bring the whole setup down to my workbench in the next few days and try to use a bench supply instead of the wall wart and also hook everything up to a scope.
Cheers,
Corey
Corey986

Return to Troubleshooting