keyboard not working and weird output

Get help here getting your replica 1 going

keyboard not working and weird output

Postby dlenmn » Sep Wed 07, 2005 2:39 pm

I've been fooling around with my replica 1 and have yet to get it working. When it starts up, the curser appears. When I hit reset, a backslash appears. However, when I type on an attached ps/2 keyboard, nothing shows up. However, the caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock lights on the keyboard do flash during power up. If I keep hitting reset some weird stuff shows up on the screen (see the two below pictures, I apologize for their large size). The junk will scroll up when the bottom of the screen is reached. Any advice? Thanks.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~lmaurer/PICT0003.JPG
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~lmaurer/PICT0004.JPG
dlenmn

Postby vbriel » Sep Wed 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Ok, first thing I have to ask is do you have the jumper removed on JP1? If you don't, it disables the keyboard decoder so that you can use an ASCII keyboard. If the jumper is removed, does the cursor go below the "\" after RESET?
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby dlenmn » Sep Wed 07, 2005 7:55 pm

No, there is no jumper on JP1. Yes, the cursor does go below the backslash after a reset.
dlenmn

Postby dlenmn » Sep Thu 08, 2005 8:18 pm

I swapped where the clock and data wires of the ps/2 port ran to (the female plug I have has loose wires coming out of it) and characters now appear when I type. However, they are not usually the characters I type. But one time they where, but that only happened once out of many trials and I'm cant think of what I did differently. The monitor seemed to work fine. I guess this puts me in the same boat as the other poster.
dlenmn

Postby dlenmn » Sep Mon 12, 2005 6:20 pm

It looks like my problem was a busted keyboard. I got a new ps/2 keyboard and everything now works fine. However, I also tried using a usb keyboard which came with a usb to ps/2 adapter and it does not work correctly -- characters appear but not the ones typed.
dlenmn

Postby vbriel » Sep Tue 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Glad the problem is solved. I've never tried the USB converter before so I'm not sure if that would work or not.
vbriel
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting