IMSAI

Vintage Events and off topic talk

Re: IMSAI

Postby madengr » Aug Mon 06, 2012 10:43 am

There are probably about 30 outstanding Imsai Series II orders from 10 years ago at ~$1000 ea; I still have my receipt, IIRC, for #22. I still get flak from my wife about "where's that $1000 computer you ordered?", especially when she recently bought me the micro Altair kit, and a run of full sized Altair kits had been sold in the interm. I suppose that's the way it goes within these projects, but I still feel jipped from 10 years ago. I suppose I could put in some on Kickstart in hopes of finally getting one, but my wife would absolutely kill me. In discussions of purchasing Imsai, does that include the debt?
madengr

Postby vbriel » Aug Mon 06, 2012 11:38 am

I was told that all deposits were refunded. Now, the IMSAI purchase is only the IP and inventory, not the Fischer-Freitas company or any debt incurred. I would contact Thomas Fischer and ask him about this.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby sje » Aug Wed 08, 2012 12:20 am

I can say that my IMSAI purchase money was completely refunded; I can't speak for anyone else.

Given a choice between an near replica IMSAI (other than the power supply) versus something which looks a lot like the original but is very different electronically, I'll take the near replica. In other words, my personal preference is for the Grant Stockly approach.

Now if it the case that some parts just can't be found, then I'd accept the Vince Briel approach (e.g., Micro-KIM, Replica 1) where some elegant substitutions can be made without seriously impacting overall functionality.
sje

Postby sje » Oct Tue 02, 2012 12:02 pm

It has been two months since the initial announcement and I'm sure we would all be interested in reading about any new developments.
sje

Postby sje » Apr Wed 03, 2013 2:04 am

The Earth has moved to the opposite side of its orbit since the last post, so I assume that the IMSAI 8080 rebirth effort has been abandoned indefinitely. I'm sorry to see this as I hoped things would be otherwise.
sje

Postby DixieGeek » Apr Sat 06, 2013 1:49 am

I'm curious about this as well. I visited IMSAI.net, and there's no mention of anything that I can find.
Mark Andrews
DixieGeek

Postby sje » Apr Mon 08, 2013 3:17 am

The IMSAI 8080 was a great machine back in its day. I know; I built and owned one. But its day was was long ago and the cost of a resurrection is high; Grant Stockly's Altair 8800 kit costs well over US$2,000 with only a few optional boards. The IMSAI rebirth project dates back to 2001 at least; if it were going to happen then it would have happened by now.

There are some alternatives. One of them is (of course) Vince's Micro 8800, an pint-sized Altair emulation with a quite reasonable price tag. I have one of these and it's fun. It would have been even more fun if I had built it myself, but my eyesight is not what is was back in 1975.

Another alternative is the Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Intersystems But who knows what kind of patent, copyright, and trademark issues could be in play.

Another idea is to produce a machine which never appeared in the Old Days: a 6802-based computer with a classical front panel and (maybe) Apple II slots. I could probably be convinced to put up some seed money for one of these.
sje

Previous

Return to Venues, projects and off topic stuff - NO SPAM