The new Superboard III

Guess my next project (OSI Superboard II)

Postby vbriel » Mar Thu 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I have this machine and I'm 90% finished with hardware implementation. Coming soon. I just need to do a board layout, finish up the serial port and it is ready.

So, EXACTLY what computer is it?
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: Guess my next project

Postby vbriel » Mar Thu 28, 2013 11:12 pm

More pictures

NOT the buttons I'm going to use for production, I just needed small buttons to make them all fit on the board.

And this is what hours of wire-wrap get you:

Just a few more things to add like serial port and external keyboard and I will be ready to make a prototype board set.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby jac_goudsmit » Mar Thu 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Make sure you put a jumper to disable that '244 so the hardware keyboard doesn't interfere with the PS/2 keyboard ;-)

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby vbriel » Mar Thu 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Good point!
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby hsnewman » Mar Fri 29, 2013 6:48 am

I'll buy a board when you finish! That was my first computer! I've been wanting one and hoping you'll build a kit. (OSI C1P).
Harris
hsnewman

Postby vbriel » Mar Fri 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Harris, you are correct! The keyboard is an issue and won't be a full sized keyboard but it will have buttons bigger than the Micro-KIM. I'll do my best to make a nice keyboard for it. Plus there should be an external keyboard too. Big thanks to Jac who really helped with this project. I think he has more fun than me making these computers :)

With prototype testing next and some more firmware work to do still, plan on summertime before we get close to doing a run of these.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby hsnewman » Mar Sat 30, 2013 9:10 am

Put me down for one.

I do have a question, will it only be composite video? Also, will the video be an accurate reproduction of the original or will there be emulation/or just terminal mode?

I've seen some other reproductions but they all don't do the video properly ... it sure would be nice to have a vga or even hdmi output....:)
Harris
hsnewman

Postby vbriel » Mar Sun 31, 2013 10:06 am

The video is a emulated with the Propeller micro-controller for 25x25. This was actually quite a choir to do as the video memory is addressed to 32x32, so 7 empty memory slots had to fill the rows. Composite is the only video mode I'm interested in doing. I really don't have any more I/O lines to do VGA.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby hsnewman » Apr Mon 01, 2013 5:41 am

Sorry for the questions...will it support a RS232 port?
hsnewman

Postby vbriel » Apr Mon 01, 2013 11:29 am

Please, ask all the questions you want. Yes, I'm working on the serial port section now. It really isn't any fun if you can't download files into the system.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby jac_goudsmit » Apr Mon 01, 2013 3:19 pm

vbriel wrote:Big thanks to Jac who really helped with this project. I think he has more fun than me making these computers :)

Thanks for the shout-out, Vince :-)

It has been an honor and a pleasure to work with you on this project, but the only reason you may have less fun than me is because you're doing all the hard work of wire-wrapping and testing, and I just get to throw code changes and schematics at you as I please :-)

As for the video: the video driver we are currently using is based on the 1-pin TV driver by Eric Ball and Ray Rodrick, which is available on the Parallax Object Exchange (OBEX). We modified it to be able to use the 256-character OSI font (the original only supports 128 characters), and the somewhat odd memory map of the OSI video (where 7 bytes of each row of video memory are invisible). Some unnecessary functionality was removed to save space. The 6502 is able to read from, and write to the emulated video memory at full speed, and the timing of the video is compatible with NTSC or PAL television receivers (depending on a configuration parameter).

All source code will be released when we're done so you can make your own modifications too.

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby vbriel » Apr Mon 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Yeah, if I was a little more patient, I would wrap another board up. I must have used half a spool or more just on this little board. We'll be at prototype PCB before long :)
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Apr Tue 02, 2013 10:15 pm

I wired up a 6850 as the serial port so I could transfer programs. Here's a picture of TankFort.

This makes it at a point were we can load/store programs making it a usable system. Would like to emulate the disk controller but will do that in a later add on maybe.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Apr Wed 03, 2013 6:16 pm

A little more work today on this. I have the serial port pretty stable, it's really a little cryptic but once you get used to it, I have been testing programs all day. The original serial port was 300 BAUD, I am set up at 9600 and could go up to 19200 but I have to put delays in the lines or characters get dropped. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, wish the ACIA was emulated but it will get there. Jac is working on the PS/2 to matrix conversion so that should be a nice touch when finished. I'm just about done testing the Aardvark brand programs, the OSI ones all work. This think is surprisingly stable for being a wire-wrap board.

Still, I'm up in the air about what speed to run the serial port. 300 gives the ability for cassette compatibility in the future, whereas 9600 is much much faster even when you have to put delays.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby davidf » Apr Thu 04, 2013 4:59 pm

I can't say enough how awesome this is!

vbriel wrote:A little more work today on this. I have the serial port pretty stable, it's really a little cryptic but once you get used to it, I have been testing programs all day. The original serial port was 300 BAUD, I am set up at 9600 and could go up to 19200 but I have to put delays in the lines or characters get dropped.

Yes, the OSI screen scroll routine is slow enough that unless you pad the lines with NULL'S (or otherwise delay), you will lose characters at the beginning of the line. This is because OSI did not use any interrupts, not even for disk. All the UART activity is polled. If the CPU is not looking, the character never happened. . .

OSI BASIC actually had a statement for this, NULL, to pad output lines when saving to cassette, paper tape, etc., so the program could be read back without losing chars:

NULL 0 adds no nulls
NULL x adds x nulls.

Dave
davidf

Return to Superboard III General Discussion