Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting

Postby herman » Feb Sat 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Now that I have assembly completed, I powered up, and now the basic seems to work, but my 7" LCD display is flashing. Display about 1/10 second, off for 3 seconds. Any ideas out there? No bad solder joints that I can see. Tested to see if interface was OK by using my Replica-1. That works fine. Is it possibly too low an output voltage to the composite monitor.
herman

Re: Troubleshooting

Postby jac_goudsmit » Mar Mon 02, 2015 3:47 am

herman wrote:Now that I have assembly completed, I powered up, and now the basic seems to work, but my 7" LCD display is flashing. Display about 1/10 second, off for 3 seconds. Any ideas out there? No bad solder joints that I can see. Tested to see if interface was OK by using my Replica-1. That works fine. Is it possibly too low an output voltage to the composite monitor.

The 1-pin TV driver may cause compatibility problems with LCD monitors. It should work a lot better with a CRT-based (analog) TV. If you don't have one, you can probably get one for cheap from a Goodwill store or eBay or CraigsList or whatever. I got a couple of nice little TV's with 9" and 13" tubes from Goodwill for less than $20.

Putting an extra 470pF capacitor (ceramic or any other kind, doesn't matter) across the video output (i.e. between video out and ground) may also fix the problem.

Alternatively, it may help to use a modulator to convert the video signal to a TV signal. I have a small digital TV that can't deal with even the slightest non-standard signal on the video input at all (it just says "no signal"), but when I send the signal to a modulator and use the TV as an analog TV, it works fine (albeit with slightly more noise).

If you're in an area where PAL is the TV standard, you will have to recompile the firmware to generate a 25fps output instead of a 30fps output. It's not very difficult (just changing a number in the source code and hitting Ctrl+F11).

===Jac
Last edited by jac_goudsmit on Mar Mon 23, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jac_goudsmit

Re: Troubleshooting

Postby herman » Mar Sun 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks for the possible solutions.
I hooked up to my older CRT style TV that had composite input. Worked great!
Added 470 pf across video out and ground - worked on CRT-TV OK, but 7" LCD still not working.
I was hoping to use the 7" LCD to make into a semi-portable Superboard III.
I have a composite to HDMI converter. Will try that next.
herman

Return to Superboard III General Discussion