Cassette Interface now works!!

What have you built or do you want to design to go with your replica 1

Postby mcphja2 » Jul Thu 26, 2007 1:34 pm

Over the years, I have accumulated many cheap "Walkman" style cassette players and recorders. All cheap, but none really "new".

I'm in the process of moving right now so they are packed away. If you have any particular specs for a recorder, I'd be happy to buy one and donate it to the project.
mcphja2

Postby Mojoseph_12 » Aug Wed 01, 2007 6:06 am

When the interface is completed will the price still be $59 or will it change? Just wondering, so I know how much I have to save when its for sale. :?:
Mojoseph_12

Postby vbriel » Aug Wed 01, 2007 6:46 am

Probably. Prices on the machined sockets have really jumped in price but it looks like that will be the selling price.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Mojoseph_12 » Aug Wed 01, 2007 10:04 am

The price is a little cheaper than the original Apple 1 cassette interface ($15 less to be precise).
Mojoseph_12

Postby vbriel » Aug Sun 19, 2007 3:58 pm

Well, I have a TI cassette player coming via ebay, so I'll see what results I get from it.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Sep Sun 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Working with the cassette interface today. It appears that the major issue with this board is grounding. The replica 1 only uses one tiny pin on the expansion header for ground. I consider this a flaw and I now know better but I can't change the standard set for the expansion connector. The good news is a simple ground strap appears to fix the problem.

Now, this still doesn't make the cassette interface ready. I'm going to change some things and buffer the address bus to try and get more reliablility out of it. I know these things were difficult but if I can get it at around 75% success rate or better, I'll make a few boards.

So, everybody that has been waiting patiently for a cassette board, the time is closer. If you really want to spend frustrating time getting it to work, this is the board for you. I'm dumping that "look-a-like" layout and going with more conventional side mounting jacks like on the multiboard for the speakjet sound.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Sep Fri 14, 2007 10:21 pm

Ok, after several frustrating days of working with the cassette interface and just getting random results, I decided to break out the TI program recorder I purchased off Ebay for $1. Untested tape deck that the head was stuck forward on! Well, first attempt stored and reloaded perfectly. 2nd test was a larger program (startrek) and it too is working.

I think all this time I've been chasing a ghost. I assumed there was a problem with the cassette deck when I really had a problem with the recorder.

Well, I'll be running tons of tests this weekend since this I'm now working to finish this board up and get some made.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Mojoseph_12 » Oct Sat 06, 2007 11:36 pm

Any news on the Cassette Interface? :)
Mojoseph_12

Postby vbriel » Oct Sun 07, 2007 7:34 am

Yeah, I did a new layout, added buffers to the address bus and just submitted the files this weekend. The new boards will be here in about 2 weeks. I have noticed an improvement with using the r1 to a1 adapter but I noticed a bigger improvement just changing tape recorders. This may be one of those cards that works but is very difficult to dial in. Use at your own frustration :cry:

I did change the connectors to a angle connector that plugs in from the side of the board instead of going straight through the board like the original apple board. It keeps everything flowing to the same side, the same as the multi board.

This is probably my final attempt to get this going.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Mojoseph_12 » Oct Thu 11, 2007 11:05 pm

Can you post a pix like you did for the multi board
Mojoseph_12

Postby vbriel » Oct Fri 12, 2007 7:17 am

Sure, right here:

I don't create 3D images for my custom components in the software, so the connectors and the transistor footprint I made don't come out and the decoupling caps look like diodes but this gives you an idea at lease.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Mojoseph_12 » Oct Fri 12, 2007 9:18 am

Looks Sleeker and follows the style of the replica 1. Cant wait to get one.
Mojoseph_12

Postby Jeroen » Oct Tue 16, 2007 1:17 pm

I can't wait for this. My dad turned out to have this really great late 70's early 80's tape recorder/player. Only downside it has "big" plugs. Not the more standart small ones. Altough an adapter should fix that. :D :wink:

edit: picture time! http://www.martelelectronics.com/Mercha ... 1large.jpg
Jeroen

Postby vbriel » Oct Sat 20, 2007 12:59 am

Is there a Mic in connector? This is how you record data from the replica 1 to the tape recorder.

Well, I received the prototype boards and so far so good. One minor error but not bad enough to cause a total new layout. Adding the buffers may have helped a lot! I will try and take some pics tomorrow.

I will try and test more but I have a lot of work to do before the VCF and not much free time.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen » Oct Sat 20, 2007 7:23 am

There is a "mic in" but it has this big huge old style plugs (not the sort you see alot these days)
Jeroen

PreviousNext

Return to Creation Room