Plans for optional expansion boards

What have you built or do you want to design to go with your replica 1

Plans for optional expansion boards

Postby vbriel » Aug Sat 25, 2007 12:38 pm

First, I want to thank everybody for being patient waiting for these boards. Thanks to Rich Dreher's help I will be prototype ordering a new adapter board for the replica 1 that is small and compact and converts the 40 pin header to a 44 pin slot for Apple 1 compatible cards. This should be a low cost solution to those who want a CFFA1 but can't afford both the CFFA1 and the 3 slot expansion board.

Here's a list of the add-on boards and their progress as of today:

Multi-I/O board: Board layout is finished and error checking is being done. Prototype boards to be ordered next week.
Cassette Interface: I just got in a different cassette recorder to work with so I'm diving into this project
Degub board: As soon as I finish the cassette board I will finish this board. I'm hoping that I will have a prototype by the end of the year.

That's all I'm going to have on my list until these are completed.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Ohhh... toys..

Postby Aaron Teeling » Sep Mon 03, 2007 12:03 am

Vince,

Put me in for on of each as soon as you go into production.
Aaron Teeling

Re: Ohhh... toys..

Postby mcphja2 » Sep Mon 03, 2007 3:57 am

Aaron Teeling wrote:Vince,

Put me in for on of each as soon as you go into production.

Same here!
mcphja2

Postby vbriel » Sep Mon 03, 2007 8:10 am

Well,

I have 10 multiboards coming the 15th as well as 20 r144 slot adapters that turn the replica 1 expansion into a single 44 pin Apple 1 compatible slot. This is a first prototype run but hopeuflly they work good. To keep the I/O addressing clear of the CFFA1, I decoded the I/O of the 6522 and the 6551 at C200 and C300. The EEPROM programmer had to go at A000-BFFF so if you want to program a EEPROM you must remove the CFFA1. Because the apple 1 (and therefore replica 1) didn't divide up the bus into shared slots like the apple 2, there will be problem with running out of address space.

There are plans for a low cost (under $60) VGA graphics board that will work via a 6522. Send commands like hline, plot, color, etc and run at speeds as fast as the 6502 clock. This is still just in my head but some of the work I've been playing with a chip lately is in this area and it would be really easy to get something like this going! I'm going to use the multiboard to develop it.

Oh, here's a picture of the software created version of the multiboard.

There are plans for a low cost (under $60) VGA graphics board that will work via a 6522. Send commands like hline, plot, color, etc and run at speeds as fast as the 6502 clock. This is still just in my head but some of the work I've been playing with a chip lately is in this area and it would be really easy to get something like this going! I'm going to use the multiboard to develop it.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby fsafstrom » Sep Mon 03, 2007 9:32 pm

Woow, that board looks cool...
Not as clumsy and full of wires as mine... ;-)

Let me organize my projects and put together some kind of tutorial or something on how to use the 6551 and 6522 chips...

Is there a schematics of this board available ?
fsafstrom

You design them....

Postby Aaron Teeling » Sep Thu 06, 2007 12:05 am

...and I'll buy them!

Very sexy lay out Vince. Like the Apple style fonts too.

With all the work you are putting into these projects, do you have any help writing the technical documentation?
Aaron Teeling

Postby vbriel » Sep Thu 06, 2007 12:19 am

Thanks. Well, I do all the writing. Always open to help :)

I'm that guy you hear in commercials, I'm the production guy, the receptionist, the engineer and the shipping deptartment, lol.

The picture shows the block of connectors on the upper left incorrectly. These will be through hole blocks that you can connect wire through like a breaboard for doing interfacing with the 6522.

I just received an email that the prototypes have shipped, which means I will have something maybe by this weekend unless it doesn't work :shock: stay tuned.

On the cassette front, I attached my cassette board up to my replica 1 and it had horrible noise in the recording. I'm trying to locate the source of the noise now.

Schematics:

http://www.brielcomputers.com/files/multiboard.pdf

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Sep Sat 15, 2007 6:49 pm

Ok, I added the multi I/O board to the order page as well as the replica 1 to apple 1 slot adapter (r144). Get 'em while they last. If you order the multiboard, I am still finishing up the manual so I probably won't be able to ship these until next weekend.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Oct Fri 12, 2007 7:34 am

Ok, so the multi I/O board is in production, the final cassette prototype is on the way and next is the debug board. I'm going to look into a whole new design for it. I probably won't have time to start until after the VCF X but it is next in line of my projects.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Return to Creation Room