Paper Tape

What have you built or do you want to design to go with your replica 1

Paper Tape

Postby mcphja2 » Apr Thu 10, 2008 4:09 am

I saw this on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paper-Tape-Reader-f ... dZViewItem

It looks like a cool idea. I always liked paper tape, an would think such an interface would be a lot of fun for the Replica or the Kim.

Does anyone know how to actually punch tape without an old reader/punch? I no longer have an ASR-33. :D

-James
mcphja2

Re: Paper Tape

Postby hanso » Apr Thu 10, 2008 12:55 pm

mcphja2 wrote:I saw this on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paper-Tape-Reader-f ... dZViewItem

It looks like a cool idea. I always liked paper tape, an would think such an interface would be a lot of fun for the Replica or the Kim.

Does anyone know how to actually punch tape without an old reader/punch? I no longer have an ASR-33. :D

-James

Quite expensive. Have a look at http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/OAE80_Reader/OAE_80A_Manual.pdf so you can build one yourself.
hanso

Postby mcphja2 » Apr Fri 11, 2008 12:26 am

That's great! I may give it a try.
mcphja2

Postby Bill Loguidice » Apr Tue 22, 2008 3:08 pm

Using paper tape would be absolutely awesome in my opinion, particularly in a "modern" product, but I imagine the costs involved would be prohibitive for simply messing around, sadly...

I'd love to get into that and a switch-based (a la Altair/IMSAI) system, but they're never within a reasonable range...
Bill Loguidice

Postby vbriel » Apr Tue 22, 2008 5:20 pm

I've personally never used paper tape but I've seen them once or twice. Simple technology but finding the mechanical parts or making them is another story. The one on ebay is way overpriced in my opinion.

Here's the problem, the dumb switches of any quality are $2-$5 each! Now, take the Altair and multiply that by 24..ish and it really adds up. Still, I think I need to revisit a front panel for the replica 1. I think I might be able to make something that works with both the replica 1 and Micro-KIM. After the VCF midwest this weekend I'll look at it. I have a "few" other things in the mix :roll: that I'll hopefully be announcing.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby mcphja2 » Apr Tue 22, 2008 5:31 pm

A front panel for the Replica or the Kim would be great. I used one back in middle school (along with paper tape) on a PDP-8 clone.

Its time consuming, but there is something fun about toggling in a program and stepping through the program to debug.
mcphja2

Postby Bill Loguidice » Apr Tue 22, 2008 6:22 pm

vbriel wrote:I've personally never used paper tape but I've seen them once or twice. Simple technology but finding the mechanical parts or making them is another story. The one on ebay is way overpriced in my opinion.

Here's the problem, the dumb switches of any quality are $2-$5 each! Now, take the Altair and multiply that by 24..ish and it really adds up. Still, I think I need to revisit a front panel for the replica 1. I think I might be able to make something that works with both the replica 1 and Micro-KIM. After the VCF midwest this weekend I'll look at it. I have a "few" other things in the mix :roll: that I'll hopefully be announcing.

Vince

If you could somehow make a front panel that would work on both kits, that would be simply amazing. I know it's crazy, but I always wanted a computer with the switches just to try and program in that many. Short of punch cards and paper tape, that has to be the most hardcore way to program a system. Again, it's always been the cost that has kept me away, but if anyone can figure a way, it's probably you.
Bill Loguidice

Postby vbriel » Apr Wed 23, 2008 7:56 am

Ok, I'll look into it next month.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: Paper Tape

Postby Fox » Mar Mon 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Maybe an optical paper tape reader would be easiest to make...
you could make one that doesn't need to be punched that way, so you could maybe modify a little adding machine to print it for you.
Might be a way to go about it.
Fox

Return to Creation Room