Adventure-350pt version: porting has begun

Discuss software for the Apple 1/replica 1

Adventure-350pt version: porting has begun

Postby Davie Byrne » Apr Sun 29, 2007 8:41 am

I downloaded the original PDP-10 Fortran source last night. I've begun porting it to integer BASIC. Hopefully it won't be too large of a file.

Has anyone thought of porting Dungeon (The mainframe version of Zork). The Fortran source and multiple other sources can be found at http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2
I'd stick with the dungeon-2.5.6.tar.gz, It's the earliest I could find. The later the version, the more stuff people add that's wasn't originally in the game.
Davie Byrne

Postby vbriel » May Wed 09, 2007 7:17 am

I would really love to see Adventure ported to the replica 1 because it fits the era of the Apple 1. Unfortunately, you may find 32K is not enough RAM for all the data and the program code. Maybe a stripped down text version is possible?

Good luck,

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby scelbi8h » Aug Sat 09, 2008 4:54 am

G'day! What happened with that port? Still working on it?

I was yesterday taking a look to original code by Crowther, discovered last year inside a mainframe computer Don Woods used while at university. It's much shorter than 350 points version, and it wouldn't be a version, but a port of the game as it was created :) There are 2 files, data (20 Kb) and source code in fortran (14 Kb). But remember I'm talking about text files with program, uncompiled!

I think 32k it's more than enough if somebody would use assembler at Replica 1. If not, it could be possible to have space for a stripped down one. Remember there's an Adventure game for 16k ZX81!

Regards, Luis ;)
scelbi8h

Postby Fippy » Dec Mon 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Hmm, this is something I wouldn't mind having a look at. I've dealt with some great text compression algos in my youth so I bet we could get that text shrunk about 30-50%

Has anyone tried porting Dungeon yet? I didn't know the original Fortran code was available, that's great!

Of course my Replica-1 is currently in bits in Vince's office right now, on account of that the fact that I only ordered the kit yesterday, so maybe I am a little ahead of myself :)
Fippy

Postby unwiredben » Jan Tue 26, 2010 12:51 pm

I read the topic here and was wondering to myself why you'd want to make Adventure on a Jumbotron with a giant font... reading onward, it makes much more sense. :D
unwiredben

Re: Adventure-350pt version: porting has begun

Postby nama » Oct Sat 16, 2010 10:12 am

did this project ever go anywhere, or is it dead?
nama

Postby Fippy » Oct Sat 16, 2010 5:06 pm

Alas, I haven't gotten anywhere with it :( I spend all my waking programming hours immersed in Java right now.
Every other week I look at my poor Replica 1 and keep meaning to get back to it.
Fippy.
Fippy

Postby Aaron Teeling » Apr Sat 02, 2011 9:33 am

Life took me on a short cut and it has been a while since I've been on the main road...

Has anyone finished the port of Adventure?
Aaron Teeling,
Replica 1, Rev C, SE, TE, Multi-Board, Expansion Board, CFFA1, PockeTerm and PockeTerm Prototype, Micro-Kim, 32K Board, COMSAC ELF 2000, N8VEM, SBC6120 with Front Panel, Altair680Kit
Aaron Teeling

Return to Software