Krusader Toolkit pre-release needs testers

Discuss software for the Apple 1/replica 1

Krusader Toolkit pre-release needs testers

Postby Kallikak » Aug Wed 01, 2007 7:27 pm

OK.

Despite spending 5 weeks travelling for work plus an enormous number of additional distractions, I have found time to get my new "Krusader Toolkit" sufficiently complete for independent testing. If anyone is interested in giving it a try, please PM me. Once I am happy with the quality I'll put it on my webpage.

The Krusader Toolkit is a 3 part software package, containing an assembly source editor, a terminal window and a Apple-1 emulator. (Java 1.5 is required to run it.)

Editor:
The editor automatically formats source as required for Krusader, and lets you save it as text, or in the Krusader internal format as binary, Woz-monitor hex or Intel hex. It has some simple format validation as well. It is able to interpret some more general source formats automatically upon loading or pasting and converts them on the fly. You can run it connected to the Replica 1 serial port (either the built in one or using fsastrom's faster serial port) and it will transfer the source data between the computer and the editor. This feature can also be used to transfer the source directly to the in-built emulator where it can be assembled and tested before sending it to the actual computer.

Terminal:
A simple terminal pane for connecting to the Replica 1.

Emulator:
The core of the integrated emulator is based on my version of the Pom-1 emulator.

This is definitely still pre-release quality. There will be bugs, oddities and missing features. But it is close to completion and I find it very useful already. Full source is available.

Ken
Kallikak

Postby Kallikak » Sep Sat 01, 2007 1:58 am

The Krusader Toolkit pre-release version is now available for download from my webpage. There are still bugs, and the terminal operation needs work.

The biggest pain is setting up the jre to support the serial communication (blame Sun, not me for that particular problem!). You need to make sure win32com.dll is in your path, comm.jar in your classpath, and javax.comm.properties in the jre/lib directory of the java runtime you are using. Without this setup the program will not see any COM ports.

But even without the terminal, you get a nice editor for Krusader, and a better emulator than the pom1 download. The internal operation is the same, but pasting text into the emulator now works reliably, you can scroll through the history and copy from the screen.

Ken
Kallikak

Postby Kallikak » Dec Thu 20, 2007 7:48 pm

In conjunction with my update of Krusader to version 1.2.3 (described in another post) I will be updating the Krusader Toolkit. It now uses RXTX for serial communications by default, so the configuration hassles described in my previous message are no longer a problem.

There are a few bug fixes in this new release, mostly related to file and memory upload and download, as well as a couple of interface related changes. It is still not complete, but it is far enough along to do pretty much everything I need of it, so I am not really in any great rush to polish it all off.

As usual, if there is any bug that causes a problem or any feature that is desperately wanted, just let me know and I'll look to address it.

Ken

p.s. I am packaging it up now and it will be uploaded to my website within the next 24 hours.
Kallikak

Postby fsafstrom » Dec Fri 21, 2007 12:28 am

Let us know when it's up there...

Now that I finally got RxTx to work, I would like to have a go at it... 8)
fsafstrom

Postby Kallikak » Dec Fri 21, 2007 6:51 am

It's uploaded now. Please give it a try.

Ken
Kallikak

Return to Software