Applesoft Lite - RAM version

Discuss software for the Apple 1/replica 1

Applesoft Lite - RAM version

Postby cowgod » Sep Mon 01, 2008 2:37 am

Howdy folks,

If anyone is interested, I put together a version of "Applesoft Lite" which can run from RAM instead of ROM. This version loads at $6000, but should be functionally identical to the last ROM build.

Binary image: http://cowgod.org/replica1/applesoft/ap ... .4-ram.bin

Hex dump: http://cowgod.org/replica1/applesoft/ap ... am.hex.txt

The hex file is over 24KB, so it'll take a while to blast it over the serial port. I'd recommend a CFFA1 board for best results. :)

Tom
cowgod

Postby vbriel » Sep Mon 01, 2008 11:34 pm

Nice, I'll give this a try. This gives the easy option of both BASIC languages loaded at any time without swapping chips.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby cowgod » Sep Tue 02, 2008 1:50 pm

Yeah, I figured most people probably can't program a new ROM. I'm not sure if anybody besides you and me even tried the ROM version so far, although quite a few people seem to have downloaded it.

It wasn't as hard as I thought to make it run from RAM, so I'll build both if there are any new versions in the future.

Tom
cowgod

Postby vbriel » Sep Wed 03, 2008 8:20 am

Yes, other people have tried it. One thing people should note is that the BASIC program dumps from machine code are for the original Integer BASIC and will not work as-is for for Applesoft. You need to dump in the listing of a program for it to work correctly.

Also, if using the CFFA1, programs from an Apple II will load but not correctly. Just dump a listing from your serial program to get it to run. Just some things people have emailed me about reguarding this.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby cowgod » Sep Wed 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Cool, I hadn't heard any feedback at all, so I just assumed nobody was interested. :( Glad to hear someone at least gave it a try!

I've also updated my Applesoft Lite page with the notes you mention and hopefully clarified things a little bit. The RAM version is available there now too.

Tom
cowgod

Re: Applesoft Lite - RAM version

Postby Toolkitman » May Tue 17, 2011 7:50 am

This is a great affition i have seen only now after 1 year. :D
Is it possible to save it in the Multi I/O Board Eprom, and how can i make this procedure to save and load it one time i have saved?
Thanks
Toolkitman

Re: Applesoft Lite - RAM version

Postby vbriel » May Sat 21, 2011 12:01 pm

You could download the version for the replica 1 main EEPROM section, write it to the multi I/O board EEPROM then power off and put that EEPROM in the replica 1 EEPROM space. This is how you make your own ROM's for the replica 1 and exactly why I made the EEPROM writer for the multi I/O board.

It has been a few years, but I believe there was a program written to copy the contents of memory to the multi I/O board's EEPROM. This is the program you want to use. This is not a "simple" procedure but not that difficult if you work on it and learn to program 6502.

Many of the replica 1 users can help guide but look way back in the forums when I first made the EEPROM programmer design and the program I wrote to copy memory to the EEPROM.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Return to Software