Problems entering Hex code into POM1

Discuss software for the Apple 1/replica 1

Problems entering Hex code into POM1

Postby theJ » Sep Thu 04, 2008 11:49 am

I just downloaded the POM1 emulator from Ken Wessen's site and got it running.
I tried to copy and paste the hex listing of Lunar Lander into the monitor (obtained from http://www.applefritter.com/taxonomy/term/229,135 )

Pasting it resulted in occasional missing characters. So I tried pasting it in line by line. Same result. I then tried increasing the character speed from 60 to 600. It was better but there were still missed characters.

I then tried to "Load Memory". That appeared to work. So I tried to run the program. Sometimes it would start to "draw" the screen then hang. Other times it would just hang. Either way I did a Reset to get POM1 to take keyboard input again.

HOW should I be entering these programs ???

I am currently running POM1 on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.5.4
theJ

Postby theJ » Sep Thu 04, 2008 12:00 pm

I just tried it in windows xp and noticed that when pasting the code, the characters actually input at 60 characters per second. On the Mac they flew by MUCH faster.

Another question though, when a program breaks and gives a register dump, what mode am I in when the minus sign prompt is showing. I know it's not the monitor as it will only take one character input.
theJ

Postby Kallikak » Sep Mon 08, 2008 9:52 pm

The paste code I put in POM1 is a bit dodgy I'm afraid. The problem is that it is not linked to the emulated Apple 1's reading of the characters, so it just tries to do it suitably slowly. This is fixed in the emulator version inside the Krusader Toolkit, and I would recommend using that. (It also supports copy and scrolling.) You need to install the AppleIIForever.ttf font for best results. There are still some rough edges with this program because I have not had time to fully polish it. Source code is there if anyone wants to step in. :-) However, I have used it repeatedly and successfully though with my Replica 1, as an integrated editor, terminal and emulator.

POM1 from my site uses my version of the ROM, that is the ROM with Krusader 1.3. So, after a crash you end up in the mini-monitor. This doesn't replace the Woz monitor, but enhances it significantly, providing low level monitoring and tracing. It is described in chapter 7 of the Krusader manual, and is very simple to use. You can examine and change the current instruction and all registers, step through execution, and enter Woz monitor commands (from version 1.3 onwards).

If you want to have any interaction with the Replica 1 at an assembly level you should be using version 1.3 of the ROM.

Ken
Kallikak

Postby vbriel » Sep Mon 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Yeah, 1.3 is the latest included with the replica 1 now.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Kallikak » Sep Tue 09, 2008 1:03 am

That's good. It really is a big improvement over the earlier versions. I haven't been working on it at all recently, since the only features I'd like to add will all be very difficult to squeeze in. But one little extra I may put in is a change to the single step function so it will not stop inside some range of addresses. For example, keeping out of the last few bytes of ROM will greatly aid stepping through input/output code.
Kallikak

Return to Software