What about a Z-Machine interpreter?

Discuss software for the Apple 1/replica 1

What about a Z-Machine interpreter?

Postby scelbi8h » Jan Wed 14, 2009 11:43 am

I was wondering if a Z-Machine interpreter could be implemented into Replica 1 to play all those games from Infocom - Zork, Sorcerer, Planetfall, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

I know memory wouldn't be enough, but maybe those text adventures could be loaded by parts using a CFFA or serial port, as any part of text is needed (the way Apple II or Commodore 64 does from disk).

Well... I was only wondering, I have not enough knowledges to implement this, but if somebody does it would be great :D
scelbi8h

Postby Bill Loguidice » Jan Wed 14, 2009 1:59 pm

I doubt it would physically possible, as I think the lowest memory machine that a Z-machine ever worked on was 32K. On the other hand, there were some two word parser text adventures that fit into even 1K.

The only commercial IF I think might have a chance would be the early Scott Adams adventure games, and even those would be a tough fit.
Bill Loguidice

Postby scelbi8h » Jan Thu 15, 2009 4:42 am

OOoops! What a pity :(

Well, I've been taking a look at Scott Adams' adventures, the average size is about 25 Kb (but adventureland, 42 kb), maybe enough for Replica 1 if a small parser would be included. A good point of those games would be the possibility of loading the complete adventure into memory.

Uff.. I wish I had more programming skills :?
scelbi8h

Return to Software