Baud rates

Get help here getting your replica 1 going

Baud rates

Postby rocket-dog » Apr Sun 20, 2008 11:43 am

Hello all!

I am considering obtaining a Replica-1. As well as using it with my modern boxes via USB I would like to connect it to my Atari 520st. My simple question is what baud/parity settings I should use on the Atari? Sorry if this information is already out there!

Thanks in advance.
rocket-dog

Postby Aaron Teeling » Apr Tue 22, 2008 1:59 pm

I have had luck transferring with baud rates as high as 19200 using a Mac and a freeware terminal program. The replica 1 comes with a nice PDF manual with terminal settings for the windows terminal program. Shouldn't be much of a problem; please post your results
Aaron Teeling

Postby rocket-dog » Apr Tue 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Thank you for replying Aaron.

I didn't think there would be much of a problem. But I always think it is best to ask if doubt. In my book you are not dumb for not knowing, just not asking! Too many on-line forums dismiss newcomers; I am really glad this is a more civilised corner of the web.

I am not planning to purchase the Replica until autumn but as soon as I have it up and running I will post.

Which terminal program do you use with your Mac?
rocket-dog

Postby Aaron Teeling » Apr Tue 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean.. get a lot of attitude at Vintage Computer Forum.

You sort of have me at a disadvantage at the moment... I just recently purchased a new intel based mac and I can't find the version of terminal program I was using.

I did purchase ZTerm and used it successfully, but liked this other one better (application icon looked like an ADM-3 ), just don't remember the exact name. Could have been a previous version of iTerm found at http://iterm.sourceforge.net/

If you like to build kits, you can't go wrong with either the Replica 1 or the Micro-Kim.. his accessories are pretty nice too.

On the aside, there should be (somewhere) a complete list of programs others have entered in for the Apple 1. I'll see if I can locate it for you.
Aaron Teeling

Postby rocket-dog » Apr Wed 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks anyway! When you are set up post here. I always feel a bit of fool when I "loose" something on a computer after all remembering things is one of the reasons why we have them....

The reason why I fell across the Replica is because I am on a bit of a computer nostalgia kick at the moment. The first machine I used was an Apple II, then I went on to Mac 128ks at college (that roughly equates to your final two years of high school your side of the Pond), and then hardly went near Mac again for about 15 years. In the autumn I am going to university and need a laptop. Now I am not sure whether that will be an EEE Pc or MacBook. But if I go for the former I will be getting a MacMini. The Replica I must be the ultimate peripheral for Apple fans.

How do you save your Rep-1 BASIC programs? Did you just LIST them and then CUT and PAST the listing to a text-editor?
rocket-dog

Postby vbriel » Apr Wed 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Yeah, some what. You tell your terminal program like hyperterminal to capture text, then list out your program.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Aaron Teeling » Apr Wed 23, 2008 8:09 pm

So far I have had success in cutting and pasting text files into the emulator screen and vice versa.

Vince has been working on a cassette interface based on the original Apple 1 design, but there has been some repeatability issues.

I have a Compact Flash Floppy Adpater (CFFA) (http://dreher.net/?s=projects/CFforAppl ... 1/main.php) designed by Rich Dreher but haven't used it yet. One of the key components is the use of a freeware program called Ciderpress which is only available in Windows format. I'm in the process of purchasing a cheap PC laptop to service my vintage computer hobby, most notably the Replica 1.

There is also a multiboard card that Vince developed that allow for burning EPROMs.
Aaron Teeling

Postby mfortuna » Apr Thu 24, 2008 7:28 am

I have been using my CFFA without ciderpress. I use the serial port to load the program in memory and then use the CFFA firmware to store it to the CF card.

Mike
mfortuna

Saving programs etc.

Postby rocket-dog » Apr Thu 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks everyone for replying. I will stick with cut and paste.

Here in Europe the Atari ST community are wild for this clever device,

http://joo.kie.sk/satandisk/index.html

for saving and moving files. If you have seen this before sorry, if not I am sure you will be interested.

I will have look at CiderPress.
rocket-dog

Compact Flash Floppy Adpater

Postby rocket-dog » Apr Thu 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks Aaron for mentioning this. If I purchase (and I would be daft not to I think now) one it will impact on the design of the case.
rocket-dog

Postby Aaron Teeling » Apr Sat 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Opps.. miss one day and get a mile behind.

Found a link from another Replica 1 user in regards to Macs-terminal programs-Replica1

http://www.brielcomputers.com/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=334

Quickterm might have been the emuator I was using. From what I can remember, it worked well for me.

It's worth bring up that not all USB-to-Serial converters work on the Mac. I believe this subject was covered in more depth in another blog here but the Belkin USA-19 USB to Serial Adapter with the proper Mac OS X drivers installed.

I'm not sure if the new intel Macs suffer from this limited selection or not, but you can usually find them on eBay for $12.
Aaron Teeling

Return to Troubleshooting