Apple Cassette Interface Adapter plans

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Apple Cassette Interface Adapter plans

Postby MikeWillegal » Jul Sat 17, 2010 4:39 pm

posted with Vince's permission...

Fellow Apple 1 fans,

Some of you may know that I have been working on a replica ACI (apple cassette interface) for the Apple 1. Some info on the ACI and my ACI replica may be found on this web page:

http://www.willegal.net/appleii/aci.htm

In order to move ahead on this project, what I have decided to do is to accept pre-orders for kits at a reduced price of $75. This is the original price for an ACI, something that I really wanted to hit, but the high cost of some of the components make it a difficult price to maintain with the low quantities of stuff I normally sell. I will take pre-orders at the $75 price up through Oct 1, 2010. Around Oct 1st, I'll start ordering components for kits and expect to be able to ship kits by late October or early November.

Once the pre-order phase is over on October 1st - I'll be raising price to $100, with the exception of those who buy a Mimeo 1 kit at the same time. Those who buy a Mimeo 1 kit at the same time, will continue to get the special $75 price.

Send an Email to me at mike@willegal.net for pre-ordering information, before sending money.

Thanks and regards,
Mike Willegal

PS I expect the Apple ACI with work with the replica 1, but it does require an ATX power supply, since there is a negative voltage used in the input comparator section.
MikeWillegal

Re: Apple Cassette Interface Adapter plans

Postby kgreene » Jul Thu 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Are you or vince or someone going to be able to test a prototype of the cassette interface with a replica 1 before the preorder period expires?

I'm interested in getting one but I'd prefer if we knew for sure it would work. :-)
kgreene

Postby MikeWillegal » Aug Wed 04, 2010 12:15 am

Very good question. Here are the facts.

I know a person who has had limited luck with an ACI proto board bult by Vince, so I have some data that an ACI design can work with a replica 1.

I am not planning on building protos. I will not be able to test until after the pre-order period is over. I have sold low numbers of products in the past, and expect that this trend will continue. Given this, building a proto batch would drive up costs to the point where this sort of project becomes highly risky if not totally unfeasible.

I will test as thoroughly as possible before shipping and correct any problems prior to doing so. If someone wants to volunteer to try an early unit working on a replica 1, I would be glad to work with him or her to get a board before general shipments start. This early board will not be free, it is just an offer to get a unit sooner rather than later.

One final thing, this ACI technology is far from foolproof. I have found that variables such the particular cassette recorder being used can be critical to success or failure. The original Apple recommend Panasonic Rq2102 seems to perform particularly well with this design and most surprisingly, is still in production.

All this said, I do everything possible to stand behind the products I design, so I would refund any funds to anyone that is not completely satisfied.

Regards,
Mike Willegal
MikeWillegal

Postby MikeWillegal » Oct Mon 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Just providing an interim update. I now have ACI kit's in stock for $100 each. A friend has done some initial read testing with a Replica-1 and the ACI. So far, so good. The report was that the reading was off of a 3rd generation iPod, with the volume turned all the way up. Note that Ipods tend to generate a cleaner signal than an real cassette tape player. Before I'll claim complete success and compatibility, I'll wait until I get confirmation that read and writing from a real cassette tape player, is working. Remember that the ACI requires a negative supply, so you'll need to power your replica 1 with an ATX power supply, if you want to use an ACI with your replica 1.

Regards,
Mike Willegal
MikeWillegal

Postby MikeWillegal » Nov Mon 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Update: The Mimeo reproduction ACI has been checked out by an independent person on a Replica-1 SE and and a couple of different cassette recorders. It is working fine. Remember that the ACI requires a negative voltage, so the replica-1 must be powered with an ATX power supply.
MikeWillegal

Return to replica 1 General Discussion