interface with pc

Talk about your Micro-KIM

interface with pc

Postby walter.brollo » Jul Mon 02, 2007 4:08 am

I like 6502.

I am interested to obtain more information about use of RS-232 interface (paper tape) for store/read Hex data from/to PC.

I have seen use of "HyperTerminal" also.

Have You possibility to show me where find more information about this question?

ThankYou. Walter
walter.brollo

Postby vbriel » Jul Mon 09, 2007 12:31 am

Ok, this answer may seem a bit long but it is the only way I know how to answer the question correctly.

Ok, first of all, the KIM-1 and the Micro-KIM have a 6 digit display and a 23 key keyboard for inputing data into memory. The display was used for really neat things back when the KIM-1 was new and people found very creative was to communicate with only a 6 digit display. However, the KIM-1 had a TTY port that allowed you to attach a teletype terminal to your KIM-1. You could also attach a RS232 type terminal with a simple add-on circuit.

With the Micro-KIM, I kept much of the original design of the KIM-1 for nostalgic fun and also to insure compatibility with hardware and software. So, the RS232 circuit is simply the TTY interface with the RS232 add-on circuit.

To use HyperTerminal with the Micro-KIM you simply need to attach a straight RS232 9 pin cable (NOT a null-modem cable) to your PC serial port. HyperTerminal is included with Windows and you simply need to set the settings with 1200 BAUD, 8 bit, 2 stop bits, no parity.

Now, with the KIM-1 and the Micro-KIM you must choose between the 6-digit display or the RS232 (TTY) interface. On the Micro-KIM there ia a jumper to make this easy to do. Simply put the jumper on the Micro-KIM and the I/O changes over to the RS232 port. Now, turn on the Micro-KIM, press the RS (RESET) button and the Micro-KIM and on the PC in Hyper Terminal, press ENTER on your keyboard.

The words 'KIM' should appear with an address in memory below that. Now you can examine memory, change memory with the TTY monitor.

Paper Tape:

The monitor also has a feature that allowed you to load and store programs to/from a paper tape reader. load a program into memory from paper tape, all you need to do is type L and load the paper tape program into the paper tape reader.

But wait.... you don't have a paper tape machine? Well, with hyper terminal you don't need one. Simply click on "TRANSFER" at the top of the program, then in the drop down list select "Send Text File" and you can send a text file of the paper tape.

It will then dump a listing of the program in papertape format to the Micro-KIM. The Micro-KIM see's this as a papertape and loads it into memory. When it is done, it will go back to the prompt for you to continue. You can then type in the starting address of your program followed by the space bar then G to GO start the program.

To store to paper tape you must store the ending address of the program into two memory locations. One holds the high byte, the other contains the low byte of the address:

So, if you want to store a program from 0000 to 0300 onto papertape, store the ending address like this:

17F7 00. (the period stores the value at 17F7)
17F8 03. (this now stores 0300 at 17F7 and 17F8)

next type in the starting address of the program. In our case we want to start at 0000, so simply type 0 and space bar.

the terminal will now show

0000 EA (0000 is the address and EA is the value that may vary)

Now, with hyper terminal click on the "TRANSFER" tab again and this time, select CAPTURE TEXT from the drop down list. You will then be asked for the name of the file to save the capture as, so give it a name for your dump. Then select ok and you are back to the KIM-1 (Micro-KIM) monitor and type 'Q". This will dump your program to paper tape and hyper terminal will capture it all including the Q but that is ok because loading it back will ignore the Q in the capture. When the Micro-KIM has finished sending the program it will put you back at the prompt.

Now you must tell HyperTerminal to stop capturing text! Click on TRANSFER, Capture Text, and STOP. and you are finished. Now you have a text listing of your program in papertape format! You would almost think the KIM-1 was designed for HyperTerminal!

I hope this answers your question on the papertape mode.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby walter.brollo » Jul Mon 09, 2007 3:29 am

ThankYou Vince.

I have found how to reach "Hyperterminal" in my PC and with your careful answer to my request I hope to have understand how to transfer hex data from/to kim.

Now I would to by one MICRO-KIM.

You will have soon my notice.

( Sorry for my bad english !!! )

A friendly greeting from Italy. Ciao. Walter
walter.brollo

Postby mcphja2 » Jul Tue 24, 2007 2:40 am

Now I'm sad I parted with my old AS R-33. :(
mcphja2

Return to Micro-KIM General Discussion