It Arrived!

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

It Arrived!

Postby MyrddynX » Sep Wed 14, 2005 6:52 pm

Yay!

My Replica 1 Kit arrived yesterday! All I've had time for so far is to do a parts inventory, and it looks like everything arrived A-OK! Hopefully, I can get some time this weekend to start the assembly. I'm sure I'll be back on these forums just as soon as I encounter my first problem! :D

Cheers
MyrddynX

Postby MyrddynX » Sep Fri 16, 2005 6:26 pm

Meh... I seem to be short by one 1-microfarrad capacitor... Ah well, no big deal, I'll just have to pick one up this weekend. Other than that, so far so good. I've gotten all the resistors, diodes, and caps installed (minus the one missing cap, of course!)

Well on my way to a replica-1 now! :D

Cheers
MyrddynX

Postby MyrddynX » Sep Sun 18, 2005 2:28 am

YAY!

IT WORKS! I finished assembling the kit about a half hour ago and I just booted the computer for the first time! Worked like a charm first try! I seem to be getting weird, jittery video output on my Sony TV, but I read that many people have that problem on certain monitors. I've got some other monitors around the house I'll have to try it on, and see if the image is stable on any of them.

Even with the jittery picture I was able to launch BASIC and write a simple "Hello World" program, which worked like a charm. Did some basic math functions too.

I suppose I'm a bit of a geek, but BOY am I please with myself for getting it going first try!

Thanks for the GREAT kit, Vince, the assembly's been tons of fun... I'll send some pictures in soon! Now I get to try writing some software for the thing! :D

(If this were 28 years ago, I'd be on the bleeding edge of modern computing, as it stands, I just built a very expensive calculator! Regardless, I'm chuffed beyond words!)
MyrddynX

Postby vbriel » Sep Sun 18, 2005 7:58 am

MyrddynX<

Congrats on the build, it's great building a kit and having no problems. I'm curious how you were short a capacitor but since I hand assemble the kits it can happen. If you feel you need the cap, let me know and I'll mail it off to you.

The only time I have run into strange video signal that was caused by the replica it was the 74HC166. I found that if I reseated the chip it worked much better. I use high quality machined sockets yet this can still happen. I would suggest that anybody with jittery video try reseating this chip. Keep us updated with pictures or web site!
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby MyrddynX » Sep Sun 18, 2005 11:45 am

vbriel wrote:MyrddynX<

Congrats on the build, it's great building a kit and having no problems. I'm curious how you were short a capacitor but since I hand assemble the kits it can happen. If you feel you need the cap, let me know and I'll mail it off to you.

The only time I have run into strange video signal that was caused by the replica it was the 74HC166. I found that if I reseated the chip it worked much better. I use high quality machined sockets yet this can still happen. I would suggest that anybody with jittery video try reseating this chip. Keep us updated with pictures or web site!

Hi! I don't know how I wount up one Cap short, I may very well have lost it once it got here. When I first inventoried the parts, I just counted the little wrapped up bundle of 1-microfarrad caps as one part, so I didn't count them all. Basically, I couldn't tell you if I lost it here or if it was missing from the kit. Regardless, I found one in my office room at work! (It helps being a techie, sometimes!), so I just used that.

I'll try your tip with the 74HC166 and see if that helps the video.. thanks for the pointer!

I've got a bunch of digital photos taken at various stages in the build... I just need to take some time to choose a few of the best and put 'em up on a site!

Cheers

M.
MyrddynX

Postby mrbill » Sep Sun 18, 2005 8:29 pm

I can't wait for mine to arrive; I ordered a couple of days ago.

I just finished building the Southern Cross 1, a Z80-based single-board computer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/739140/

It looks more complicated than the R-1, so I figure I won't have any problem at all...

Bill
mrbill

Postby MyrddynX » Sep Mon 19, 2005 1:15 am

mrbill wrote:I can't wait for mine to arrive; I ordered a couple of days ago.

I just finished building the Southern Cross 1, a Z80-based single-board computer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/739140/

It looks more complicated than the R-1, so I figure I won't have any problem at all...

Bill

Bill:

That Z80 kit looks like lots of fun too, maybe I'll try building one of those next! That said, I think I'm going to be spending a fair amount of time with my Replica-1 over the next few months just playing with the thing! I hope your Replica-1 arrives soon and you have as much fun assmebling it as I did!

Cheers

M.
MyrddynX

Return to replica 1 General Discussion