Terminal & Firmware release

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

Terminal & Firmware release

Postby Toolkitman » May Sun 08, 2011 6:22 am

Hi,
what's the latest stable Terminal & Firmware release?
Where can i download it?

I have Terminal 5.0c and Firmware 5.1

8)
User avatar
Toolkitman
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Jul Mon 12, 2010 2:01 pm
Location: Venice,Italy

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby vbriel » May Sun 08, 2011 7:09 pm

You are up to date for now. There will be another update when the RAM drive board is released.

Vince
User avatar
vbriel
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Jul Tue 19, 2005 12:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby Toolkitman » May Sun 15, 2011 3:54 am

Ok thank you :D
User avatar
Toolkitman
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Jul Mon 12, 2010 2:01 pm
Location: Venice,Italy

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby wallc » Jul Wed 20, 2011 10:08 pm

I have not had time to play with my machine for about 8 months and was checking to see how far out of date my firmware is. Upon startup, my machine (SN 40) shows Terminal 9 Firmware 9. I am not sure how this relates to the information given below in this topic! Assuming I am not current, where do I get the current software?
Thanks
wallc
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul Thu 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby garryj » Jul Thu 21, 2011 11:46 am

wallc wrote:Upon startup, my machine (SN 40) shows Terminal 9 Firmware 9. I am not sure how this relates to the information given below in this topic! Assuming I am not current, where do I get the current software?

Current release is 5.x for both terminal and firmware. Even though your version numbers are higher, your unit has one of the early releases, so you'll need to contact Vince to exchange your ATmega 8515 for one that has been programmed with the current "self-programmer" code. The replacement 8515 will come pre-programmed with the current 5.x Firmware, and the updated self-programmer will allow you to flash in future upgrades as they are released.

The Terminal firmware is updated separately, but you *must not* update it until you have installed the upgraded 8515.
garryj
----------
garryj
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Aug Sun 15, 2010 11:26 am

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby wallc » Aug Wed 03, 2011 11:06 pm

I sent the 8515 to Vince for upgrade. I installed the upgraded 8515 I received and a 24LC256 he sent me which I assumed had the new terminal software on it. Now upon power-up I see "Terminal 5.0d" displayed followed by "Connect Timeout". The "int" led is the only led active and it is flashing.

Have I missed something about startup of the new software? Thanks!
wallc
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul Thu 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby Bob » Aug Thu 04, 2011 10:36 pm

wallc wrote:I sent the 8515 to Vince for upgrade. I installed the upgraded 8515 I received and a 24LC256 he sent me which I assumed had the new terminal software on it. Now upon power-up I see "Terminal 5.0d" displayed followed by "Connect Timeout". The "int" led is the only led active and it is flashing.

Have I missed something about startup of the new software? Thanks!


Just some random trouble-shooting ideas:
- Check the IC's and make sure they are installed with correct orientation
- Check for IC pins that may have been folded under or slipped outside the socket (particularly the 8515)
- Double check the setting of the front panel switches

Good luck!
Bob
Bob
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Aug Sat 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby vbriel » Aug Fri 05, 2011 11:39 am

Good things to check, also, what crystal size is next to the ATmega8515? It would be either 16mhz or 20mhz. If you are running a 20mhz crystal, you need to downgrade to 16mhz to function properly.
User avatar
vbriel
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Jul Tue 19, 2005 12:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby wallc » Aug Sat 06, 2011 8:32 am

I checked. Unfortunately no bent pins on either chip and the crystal is 16 mhz. Do you think the processor chip didn't survive the shipping?
wallc
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul Thu 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby elchucko » Aug Sat 06, 2011 10:46 am

Make sure you didn't intermix the chips. Had this happen and same results as you have.
User avatar
elchucko
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Apr Wed 14, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Lincoln Nebraska

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby vbriel » Aug Sat 06, 2011 11:27 am

wallc wrote:I checked. Unfortunately no bent pins on either chip and the crystal is 16 mhz. Do you think the processor chip didn't survive the shipping?


Possible. Email me to get another
User avatar
vbriel
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Jul Tue 19, 2005 12:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby garryj » Aug Mon 08, 2011 2:29 pm

vbriel wrote:
wallc wrote:I checked. Unfortunately no bent pins on either chip and the crystal is 16 mhz. Do you think the processor chip didn't survive the shipping?


Possible. Email me to get another

The blinking "INT" LED and "Connect timeout" terminal message means that the serial port driver of the terminal and/or the USART of the 8515 never initialized properly. You could try re-flashing the terminal firmware first, and if that doesn't fix the problem, it's likely that the 8515 EEPROM may not have programmed properly, as it contains the USART initialization parameters.
garryj
----------
garryj
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Aug Sun 15, 2010 11:26 am

Re: Terminal & Firmware release

Postby wallc » Aug Mon 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks Garry, I can try that. Where do I find instructions and the download for the termianl software. Vince sent me a new chip when he sent the reimaged 8515 so I haven't updated the terminal software since teh improvements.
wallc
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul Thu 22, 2010 6:35 pm


Return to Altair 8800 Micro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron