Disk Controller board beta run preorders!

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

Disk Controller board beta run preorders!

Postby vbriel » Oct Wed 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Ok, I've decided to push forward with this project since ALOT of people want CP/M on their Altair micros. So, what I'm going to do is a small run of 20 units of the Disk RAM drive board. This board gives you 2 RAM drives and a battery connector for 2 large RAM drives. The systme will think they are floppies and you load images to/from them from your SD card. Once loaded, they will remain until you cut the power to the RAM chips (turn off batteries) or the batteries die. It will take about 4-6 weeks to ship because of the 4 week time to wait on the blank boards.

The board also gives you the needed 32K extra RAM for a total of 64K RAM. I will open this beta testing up to everybody but prefer those who feel comfortable installing the cards in the Altair micro. You can order kit or assembled as always. The preorder page is here:

http://www.brielcomputers.com/88dskram.html

Let me know if you have any questions. First 20 people get in on this and I will be shipping out the new 5.1 CPU firmware on a preprogrammed chip so everybody is on the same firmware.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: Disk Controller board beta run preorders!

Postby vbriel » Oct Wed 12, 2011 5:40 pm

18 units left
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby elchucko » Oct Wed 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Just ordered a kit today! :D
elchucko

Postby vbriel » Oct Wed 12, 2011 11:57 pm

17 left
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Oct Thu 13, 2011 8:37 am

15 left
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Oct Fri 14, 2011 8:42 am

3 left
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby kyeakel » Nov Sun 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Vince,
Any idea when these will be shipped out?
Thanks,
Kipp
kyeakel

Postby cnoyes72 » Nov Tue 08, 2011 7:21 am

vbriel wrote:3 left

I ordered one from the main page but I guess I should have checked the forums first. Any chance I got in on the first 20?

-CN
cnoyes72

Postby vbriel » Nov Tue 08, 2011 10:19 am

You got in there! As a matter of fact, I updated this thred and the order page to match. There is only 1 left guys. Boards should be coming in about a week or so.

1 unit remaining on the beta run. I can't stress enough how much work Gary Jordan has put in on the disk controller and the Altair CPU code. He has transformed this machine from a clunky bugged unit into an true Altair CP/M machine. A big thanks for all his work.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby elchucko » Nov Tue 08, 2011 11:38 am

Thank you Gary for all your efforts. We (well at least me), rely on folks such as you! Hey an idea. For those who would like to (and it would be interesting) post their backround in the computer world. We would get a "flavor" of your involvement, experience and education in the computer industry. Thank you again Gary!
elchucko

Postby rkron » Nov Tue 08, 2011 2:48 pm

More of a hardware person, have been in it since SCELBI 8 days. Still have the original Altair 8800 that I put together in the mid 70s with a Northstar Disk system. Decided to get back to the early days with some of Vince's great products. Do very little programing except dabble in Basic. Have been through the CPM days, Radio Shack 100s, and Model 3s and the original Macintosh bought in 1984. Put together my share of PCs. Modern machines include Mac Mini, and Pro laptop, and standard desktop and laptop Dells.
rkron

Postby cnoyes72 » Nov Tue 08, 2011 5:31 pm

The first computer I ever interacted with was some homebrew unit my father built (just a plywood front panel and wood base with the electronics and power supply). I remember playing hangman when I was 6 or 7. The first computer I ever owned was a trs-80 mc-10. I've owned a bunch of color computers since then. I joined the Air Force as a crypto tech, so I got to work on some cool hardware, as well as IBM PC's and a teletype model 40. The first PC I ever owned was an IBM PS/2 model 70 I bought in the service (I still have it in the basement). I now work at Pratt & Whitney as a network engineer and own a few Macs and PC's, plus a netbook. Aside from playing with the Altair and MicroKIM using BASIC, most of the programming I do now involves PERL. The Altair 8800 micro was a neat teaching aid for the computer merit badge; it was an eye-opener for the scouts to see what an early computer looked like and how it was programmed. :-)

-CN
cnoyes72

Postby vbriel » Nov Tue 08, 2011 11:47 pm

The last beta run disk controller has been spoken for. Thanks for the huge turn out of support for these. Don't worry if you didn't get one, production will start just as soon as everybody has their boards and they are up and running.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Toolkitman » Nov Sun 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi everyboady,
the disk controller board will have support for the serial to usb port? :D
Toolkitman

Postby vbriel » Nov Mon 14, 2011 9:57 am

Yes it will support a device for serial to usb. I'm going to include the serial-usb converter for the beta run but if I have problems getting good units I won't include them in the production run.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Next

Return to Altair 8800 Micro