serial I/O with Linux?

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

serial I/O with Linux?

Postby bababooey182 » Sep Wed 07, 2005 11:29 pm

At some point I need to figure out how to use the serial I/O interface when connected to a Linux PC. I'm assuming kermit is the best software to use. Has anyone already figured out all the settings/parameters (e.g. the character delay and line delay) for kermit?

If no one has details, I'll post what I figure out...
bababooey182

Postby programsynthesiser » Oct Sun 02, 2005 1:47 pm

It should be a relatively simple thing to do, all hyperterminal on windows is is terminal software. Linux has many programs that can do the same thing. As long as you set it up with the same bitrate and whatever kind of handshaking it should use, then it should work.
Last edited by programsynthesiser on Jul Sun 15, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It works!
programsynthesiser

Postby bababooey182 » Oct Thu 27, 2005 8:45 pm

I did spend some time with this recently. I tried ckermit and minicom. I was able to get kermit to perform a basic serial connection so that interactive typing worked fine. But I couldn't get it configured to do the equivalent of Hyperterminal's "character delay", so sending a text file or pasting a text file into kermit appeared to proceed without any intercharacter delays. That leads to garbage on the Replica 1.

Similar attempts with minicom's ascii transfer program didn't yield any solutions.

So bascially kermit can create a workable interactive serial connection to the Replica 1, but the main point of the serial I/O interface on the Replica 1 is to upload programs, which I couldn't get to work.

Any other ideas for serial connections from Linux?
bababooey182

ASCII file transfers with Linux

Postby djrosen » Mar Sun 05, 2006 11:06 am

With just a few minor setting changes, I have gotten Minicom to transfer files with fewer errors than Hyperterminal. Other than the serial port settings, the only other changes from the default are to turn linefeeds on (ctrl-a a,) set the terminal emulaton to ANSI (ctrl-a t,) and modify the file transfer protocol settings (ctrl-a o) so that the ASCII tranfer line reads "/usr/bin/ascii-xfr -sn -l 500 -c 20" instead of the default and turned FullScr on to view each line as it is transferred. Vince's Star Trek ran without a hitch after an upload this way, the same code transfered with Hyperterminal required considerable repair.
djrosen

Postby vbriel » Mar Wed 08, 2006 5:05 pm

Nice work. I'm actually surprised that you are the first to come forward with the solution. I just don't have the time to set up a Linux box and play right now :(

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Return to replica 1 General Discussion