Use the Easycap to watch Apple 1 video on a PC screen

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

Use the Easycap to watch Apple 1 video on a PC screen

Postby hanso » Nov Tue 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Most of us will have a PC next to the Apple 1. Connected via the serial/USB connection, great for cross development, and great to surf the internet for 6502 info.

Having to place a separate monitor for the video output takes up room on your desk. So I looked for a solution to show video on the PC screen.

And I found a very cheap solution (got mine at about 15 dollar, including shipping from HongKong to my home) called EasyCap.
Its a USB based kind of dongle with video and audio input. As the Apple 1 Replica SE is a bit picky about monitors, I was pleasantly surprised to see it display fine with the solution. Note that I did clip off the resistor at the video output as described on this forum.

More on the Easycap here
hanso

Re: Use the Easycap to watch Apple 1 video on a PC screen

Postby Toolkitman » Oct Thu 21, 2010 6:44 am

This is a great IDEA! i have bought one and works very well i dont know about the audio cause i'm using it with the replica 1 and it doesnt need audio.
Toolkitman

Postby nama » Oct Fri 22, 2010 4:08 am

I have and EasyCap and I have tried what you suggested with my Microbee and Aamber Pegasus computers and I have not been able to get very good results. Maybe it's the quality if the composite signal. I have not tried my Apple 1 (Obronix clone) with the EasyCap, but maybe I'll give it a go tonight. I'll let you know how It works out.

Philip
nama

Postby Toolkitman » Oct Sat 23, 2010 10:37 am

replica1action.JPG
replica1easycap
replica1action.JPG (233.8 KiB) Viewed 12877 times

This is the screen of my replica 1 TE working in easy cap and hyperterminal under windows xp pro.
Toolkitman

Postby nama » Oct Sat 23, 2010 6:29 pm

I tried the EasyCAP with my Obronix clone (Composite output) last night. The results were not good. A lot of flickering, and tearing. Totally illegible.

The Replica 1's S-Video looks really good.
nama

Postby Toolkitman » Oct Sun 24, 2010 2:44 am

Nama with my replica 1 te i have used a composite to s-video cable and setup the easycup in ntsc mode, i dunno if this make changes for your obtronix but you can try it.
Toolkitman

Return to replica 1 General Discussion