Recommendations for best Micro-KIM retro experience

Talk about your Micro-KIM

Recommendations for best Micro-KIM retro experience

Postby chassum » Jun Mon 18, 2012 1:38 pm

For father's day, my (grown) kids ordered me a Micro-KIM, so I'm really excited about getting back to some _real_ computing. As far as possible (and practical), I'd like to recreate that sense of wonder and adventure that we experienced back in the late '70s when we were first exposed to such marvels as the 6502. For example, I'm planning on using the bare board and keypad to go through most of "Programming and Interfacing the 6502: With Experiments" by Marvin L. De Jong before connecting to a terminal, adding RAM and expansion cards, etc.

So, I'd like any input on what might be good steps to take (or avoid) to make this little project more educational and fun while still staying somewhere in the realm of day-to-day practicality ;) (For example, it would be nice to connect an ASR 33, but I guess I'll settle for minicom.)

cheers, and looking forward to your input
chassum

Re: Recommendations for best Micro-KIM retro experience

Postby rwiker » Jun Wed 20, 2012 2:50 pm

You might want to check out the forums at 6502.org as well - there's a lot of stuff about the 6502 in general, and there should be a few things there that could be turned into projects for your Micro-Kim.
rwiker

Postby MOS6502 » Jun Thu 21, 2012 9:15 am

The original KIM-1 user manual and especially the "First Book of KIM" are very nice introduction (or refresh-training) materials to the KIM. I typed in all the examples on my Micro-KIM and did all the excercises.

Just make sure the power cable is securely connected and that the Micro-KIM is steadily supported (ie. it has proper rubber-feet or some other "base") and just start typing.

Connecting a real terminal to the Micro-KIM would be awesome, at least I would love to see some pictures of setups like that!
Motorola 6800, Intel 8080, Fairchild F8, Rockwell PPS8... MOS 6502 Microprocessor beats 'em all!
MOS6502

Postby chassum » Jun Mon 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Got my Micro-KIM kit over the weekend. Spent a couple of pleasant afternoons soldering, and now I'm enjoying 6502 goodness :)
Thanks Vince, I truly love what you/ve done. Well designed, easy to assemble, good documentation (though the 1K and 100 Ohm resister qtys are off on page 11) The look and feel really bring back memories. Over the next few months, I'll be going through all the basic 6502 programs and exercises. After that I plan on adding both the 32K and RIOT boards, running FIG forth and actually interfacing to some real hardware.

BTW, I seem to remember seeing (years ago) some "graphics" programs that could be run on a cursor-addressable serial terminal. Just wondering if that is possible with the PockeTerm?

Well, according to the clock program running on my Micro-KIM its time to go. I'll try to update things as appropriate.

cheers,
-chassum
chassum

Postby vbriel » Jun Mon 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks! I have to fix that error in the manual. Yes, the PockeTerm uses standard VT-100 escape codes. So, for example, to clear the screen send the code ESC[2J where ESC is ascii value 27 the [ character and "2J" characters. J is capitalized. You can look up the whole set of control codes and 90% or more are implemented (the ones that aren't relate to color). You can control the cursor location, inverse, and much more.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby chassum » Jun Mon 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks for the info, that sounds like it would work. Think I'll add that to my wish list. You can't believe what a VT 100 goes for on Ebay.
chassum

Return to Micro-KIM General Discussion