Happy new Micro-KIM

Talk about your Micro-KIM

Happy new Micro-KIM

Postby Paul Förster » Apr Fri 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi Vince,

I'm new here and a happy and proud new Micro-KIM owner incl. 32K expansion, second 6532 and expander. :-) Everything worked fine until a few minutes ago. :-(

I tend to make a backup of all my software so that never ever anything gets lost. That includes EPROMs, but not ROMs because EPROMs also tend to lose their content with time, even with the glas window being covered. So I took the EPROM off the Micro-KIM to read it out as usual. Then the disaster took its toll. :-( I accidentally placed it the wrong way into the socket of my EPROMmer to read it out. I saw a quick yellow flash and that was it. :-( aaaaaaarg!

Could you possibly provide me with the EPROM image so that I can burn a new one myself?

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Förster

Re: Happy new Micro-KIM

Postby jac_goudsmit » Apr Fri 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Paul Förster wrote:Could you possibly provide me with the EPROM image so that I can burn a new one myself?

You can download the Kim-1 ROM image files from places such as http://www.commodore.ca/manuals/funet/c ... dex-t.html .

The original KIM-1 had two 1KB EPROMs so there are two images: 6530-002 and 6530-003 (6530 was the type of the ROM chip and 002 and 003 were designations for the mask used to program the ROMs). The -003 image should be stored in the lower 1KB block of the EPROM ($0000-$03FF), and the -002 image should be stored in the second 1KB block ($0400-$07FF). The MicroKim uses an 8K EPROM, but the top two address lines are grounded so the top 6K of the EPROM ($0800-$1FFF) is never accessed and you don't need to program it.

If your EPROM programmer can't burn two images to one EPROM, you can use the following from the DOS/Windows command prompt to generate one combined image from the two files:
Code: Select all
copy /b 6530-003.bin+6530-002.bin combined.bin

WATCH OUT the -003 image is the LOWER part, and the -002 is the HIGHER part. The web page says says it the other way around. If you combine the image files in the right way, the texts "MIK" and "RRE" (KIM and ERR backwards) should be towards the end of the 2K area in the EPROM, not in the middle. If you get it wrong, the MicroKim won't boot because it will see $FFFF as boot vector (the -003 image ends in $FF bytes).

===Jac

EDIT: I forgot that the ROMs are in opposite order.
Last edited by jac_goudsmit on Feb Mon 16, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jac_goudsmit

Postby Paul Förster » Apr Sat 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi Jac,

thanks for the answer. Vince was so nice and sent me the ROM image by email already (thanks again Vince :-). Since I didn't have it I started typing it in on my C64 and was done about ⅔ when Vince's mail came in. :)

Yes, I know the structure, so that's not the problem. Even if I had done it the wrong way, which is impossible when typing it in as addresses are given, all I would then have to do is invert A10 (pin 21) according to schematics and that should do. But then, this is kinda overkill. :)

I found an old 2716 EPROM in my stock but that thing is so old that I don't dare to use it. Since I have no 2764 lying around currently, I'll have to wait a few days until my order is fulfilled and I again will have a sufficient spare number. Until then, I could play around with the KIM-1 emulator by Cameron Kaiser for the Commodore 64 (which also is 30 years now), see: http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/kim-1/emu.html

As for concatenating files, I don't use Windows (hate it). I use mainly Mac and Linux. So, the command would be:
Code: Select all
cat 6530-003.bin 6530-002.bin >combined.bin

which does exactly the same. But my EPROMMER (on the Commodore 64) can burn more than one file into the same EPROM, so that's also no problem on my part. I only have to wait for the EPROMs now because I'm out of stock.

This was the first time in about 25+ years that I put an EPROM into the prommer socket the wrong way. :(

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Förster

Postby Paul Förster » Apr Sun 27, 2014 7:22 am

Hi,

good news! I found three 2764 EPROMs in my stock by accident, though I wasn't actually looking for them anymore, now that I have ordered a new pile. :) So I checked one of them with my C64 and after it turned out to be completely empty, I loaded the KIM ROM.BIN into the C64's RAM (thank god there are SD card floppy drive replacements these days :) and burned it, verified it and then put it in the Micro-KIM's EPROM socket. I fired it up and it works fine, including serial communication. :)

So, problem solved, case closed on my part. 8)

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Förster

Return to Micro-KIM General Discussion