The KIM-1 Article consolidation project

Talk about your Micro-KIM

The KIM-1 Article consolidation project

Postby cappy2112 » Mar Wed 25, 2015 6:40 pm

I've been reading through the back issues of Micro (which has many articles on 6502-based computers) in order to get familiar with the KIM-1 and what people have used it for.
I thought it would be convenient to have all KIM-1 articles in 1 PDF, so I wrote a program to split PDFs into individual files, and another to merge individual PDFs back into a single PDF.
I still need to go through each original Micro PDF to identify which pages to keep & which to throw away.

After going through the first 5 issues, I've noticed that the content for some issues is 50%+ about the KIM1, and that this project probably isn't so useful.
Additionally, after doing the first 5 issues, the resultant PDF is already 3MB. I've been keeping the cover page & TOC page for each issue, along with all pages on KIM1 related articles, but not advertisements.
If I continue, I may need to stop every 25 issues or so, so that each resultant PDF isn't too big.

The original Micro PDFS are NOT OCRd, and neither are the consolidated articles. Searching for text isn't possible.

If enough people think this will be useful, I will continue doing this, but it will probably take a few months.

If not, I will abandon it for now.

Of course, it's possible someone already has done this ;-)

Thanks
cappy2112

Re: The KIM-1 Article consolidation project

Postby jac_goudsmit » Mar Thu 26, 2015 11:59 pm

An interesting project!

By the way, it looks like The Internet Archive has OCR'd PDF's: https://archive.org/details/micromagazine

Click on "All Items (most recently added first)", then click on any issue, then select "PDF with text" to download the OCR'd PDF.

(Funny observation: there must be so much assembly source code in some of the issues that it lists instructions such as "lda", "sta", "bne" in the keywords :) )

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby cappy2112 » Mar Fri 27, 2015 1:53 am

jac_goudsmit wrote:An interesting project!

By the way, it looks like The Internet Archive has OCR'd PDF's: https://archive.org/details/micromagazine

Click on "All Items (most recently added first)", then click on any issue, then select "PDF with text" to download the OCR'd PDF.

(Funny observation: there must be so much assembly source code in some of the issues that it lists instructions such as "lda", "sta", "bne" in the keywords :) )

===Jac

Thanks Jac. I'll check these out.

The disadvantage to downloading from Archive.org- you can't use tools like DownThemAll to grab a page full of files in one click.
I don't know of any way around this- yet.
cappy2112

Postby djones60 » Mar Fri 27, 2015 7:45 am

I just broke down and did them one at a time. It didn't really take that long once I got into a rhythm.
djones60

Return to Micro-KIM General Discussion