TTY issues due to USB - Serial adapter?

Discuss problems with your Micro-KIM here

TTY issues due to USB - Serial adapter?

Postby blatboy » Mar Wed 21, 2012 9:35 am

ok... finally got the usb-serial cable for my laptop...

after setting up through hyper-terminal, it's acting kind of buggy. I get some sort of communication with the terminal but it's like thus:

K
037B
C
03DA
40F
3 44A
48F

(this is what I get with repeated enter key hits)

It seems to try to say KIM after reset... but just not working.

it seems that people have had better luck with a straight serial connection. When I get back home (I'm out of town right now) I have an old windows 95 laptop with a serial port I can try with it.

Until then, any other ideas? I've not been able to get minicom to work via macports, as my unix chops aren't what they used to be... but i'm willing to keep trying other terminal programs and get my unix back to speed if ye thinks that may be the issue...

thanks and sorry to keep pestering everyone here.

:)
blatboy

Re: TTY issues due to USB - Serial adapter?

Postby AartBik » Mar Wed 21, 2012 1:10 pm

blatboy wrote:after setting up through hyper-terminal, it's acting kind of buggy.

Perhaps you already tried this, but did you reduce the bits-per-seconds rating and modify flow control in your connection setup, as described in Vince's manual on setting up TTY with the micro-KIM? I am using a USB-serial adapter without any trouble (although the modifications above were essential in getting it to work).
AartBik

Postby blatboy » Mar Wed 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for the reply... I have followed the manual closely, though I had originally set my character delay and my line delay set differently as per another recommendation on this forum. I tried again with 5ms character delay and 200ms line delay and still had the same issue...
blatboy

Postby vbriel » Mar Wed 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Without getting too detailed, the serial port on the KIM-1 and the Micro-KIM are bit banged via software. There is no magical RS232 driver on the KIM-1 or the Micro-KIM. The TTY to RS232 circuit is from the original mod posted in Byte Magazine I believe. The TTY to RS232 circuit should be -12V driven but there is only 5V and ground to work with and GND works, most of the time. Since it looks like you have the serial port somewhat working, there are a lot of things to try. First, make sure you are using 2 stop bits. It just works better. Next, you can try setting the TTY port address vector manually to the baud rate of your choice. I'd have to look those vector addresses up but my head is wired into another hardware project right now, sorry.

The real question is, does it work on a true serial port without issue? The nice thing about using most of the original deisign of the KIM-1 is that you get the whole experience. These are real issues KIM-1 users faced when using their KIM-1 with a terminal.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby blatboy » Mar Wed 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks Vince! It seems that loading programs works fine. (Although Farmer Brown didn't quite work in the same way both when I typed it in manually and when I loaded it via the serial port. It's always an ants only game.)

So, it seems that there's something getting kooky with output from the Micro-KIM to the terminal. I'll toy around with the settings some more (I'll check out the parity bit situation) and see if I can get it to clear up. Otherwise I'll try to get it to work with one of my PCs at home w/serial ports.

Thanks again!
blatboy

Return to Troubleshooting