Strange KIM behaviour - faulty 6532?

Discuss problems with your Micro-KIM here

Strange KIM behaviour - faulty 6532?

Postby scelbi8h » Apr Wed 08, 2015 10:46 am

Hi there!

It's been a while since I last used my uKIM. I wanted to load Microsoft Basic and play for a while, but seems I'm having some trouble.

First I connected it to a serial terminal program on my Mac (plus USB to serial adapter), and it worked well. I tried the "Q" function to map the memory. All OK - but for some reason my uKIM ignored my Mac when I sent a text file to the uKIM.

";1802000...etc" appeared on the screen, but when it finished and I checked the memory map, nothing was loaded. I tried lower speeds too.

I didn't remember if I should have JP1 on board with 32 kb memory, so I tried the board with and without this jumper, with no apparent changes. I can write and then read data on any memory main memory and expansion addresses. As I remember, with no expansion, JP1 is on place and removed when using 32Kb, right?

I got tired and gave up using my Mac, and decided to take out of the closet an old PC laptop I used years ago for this. No problem now, Windows HyperTerminal works ok, I can load text files - but long programs don't work properly as they used to do in the past. "L" and "G" functions also work OK.

But "Q" function isn't working now. I can't get a memory map. Every time I try it, I get a ";0000000000" on screen and then stops, no matter what memory location I was on. If I press "Q" again it goes on:

;0000000000Q
;0000000000Q
;0000000000Q
;0000000000Q
;0000000000

I turned the uKIM off, checked it with and without memory expansion, I disconnected it for a while and waited until the ICs were cold. No changes, "Q" is gone. I went to the Mac terminal software. Same behaviour with "Q".

Did i fry the R6532P, ROM... when pluging/removing JP1? Every time I was changing anything, I turned off the uKIM, not while running.
scelbi8h

Re: Strange KIM behaviour - faulty 6532?

Postby jac_goudsmit » Apr Sat 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Before sending the file, did you type L ? Or did you make sure your file has an L at the top? I believe that's the command you need to make it start "eating" input from memory dumps.

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby scelbi8h » Apr Sat 11, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks for your answer :)

Yes, I pressed the "L" key. At first I forgot about that and I was just getting crazy when my uKIM was showing garbage all over the screen. After "L", I got the normal data pattern loading in memory.

At my laptop PC, I still have the settings that worked for me saved on it, since I first used it about 5 years ago. I even have dumped screen texts that allow me to see how everything was working then.

With KB9 Basic I have the "MEMORY SIZE?" question, then it gets blocked. Tiny Basic Adds an "€" symbol at the beginning of every line after every Enter key press, and with that symbol I can't make it work properly.

I said I didn't remove or plugh the JP1 while the KIM was on, but i did connect and disconnect the serial port... Big mistake, I'm afraid.

If something got really broken, what can it be? RAM, ROM, 6532?

Cheers :)
scelbi8h

Postby scelbi8h » Apr Wed 15, 2015 10:46 am

Well, my issue is solved.

Nothing was broken, I just misunderstood the purpose of 17F7 and 17F8 for setting the Ram top.

Now everything works ok :)
scelbi8h

Return to Troubleshooting