Board Possibly Ruined

Discuss problems with your Micro-KIM here

Board Possibly Ruined

Postby anarkavre » Aug Thu 02, 2007 11:50 pm

While assembling my kit I accidentally soldered one of the sockets the wrong way and had to desolder it. After I did I noticed I really screwed up the the contacts of the component holes. They are really burned up and I can't apply solder to them. Is there any way to fix what I did or did I ruin my board?
"Without curiosity and knowledge, the mind is a vast void. Without the mind, curiosity and knowledge are nonexistent."
anarkavre

Postby Mojoseph_12 » Aug Fri 03, 2007 12:31 am

It didnt matter how the socket was placed i would suggest for this one IC soldering the IC to the contacts on the top of the board but this means there would be no socket and so no replacing the IC but i dont know how bad the bottom contacts are,so any bottom traces connect to the IC might not be connected.but you could always use jumpers to connect the ic pins where ever they have to go. :wink:

solder here
\
---/*******\----------------<PCB
IC PIN-------^
NOTE: If you do this and it doesnt work it is very hard to remove the solder without the use of a sucker or solder wick but even so its still hard.
Mojoseph_12

Postby jburke71 » Aug Fri 03, 2007 1:14 am

If you've lifted the contacts on the board here's a site that shows how to fix this: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/presen ... MD-HowTo-5

It's mainly dealing with soldering surface-mount components, but the green-wire fix might work for your situation as well. Also, if you can post a picture of the problem spot, someone else might have a better idea.

Good luck,

Jason
jburke71

Postby vbriel » Aug Fri 03, 2007 6:43 am

It might be best to just scrap that board and start fresh just replacing the parts you have on the board. I can solder rework wire in place of the contacts but that wouldn't look good on the bottom of the board and I can't get to it for at least another week. I don't quit on things but if it too bad, it might be better to just start by replacing what you have done to this point.

Were you following the steps in the manual? If the board is shot, I can send you a replacement one, along with sockets and the keypad buttons, resistors, power switch and diodes at a low cost. If you have more or less components installed, let me know.

Hopefully that's as far as you have gotten and it won't be too bad to replace all that and start new. Desoldering is difficult and it is very common to pull pads doing it.

If you think it is unfixable, pm me.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby anarkavre » Aug Fri 03, 2007 1:16 pm

I actually finished the entire thing, so I don't know how that will affect the situation. The only two components that I really messed up were the 74LS00 in the row of 4 ICs and the .22uF cap that is above the 74S138 that is next to the 74LS00 I messed up. I work with an electrical engineer that could possibly help me or I would be willing to ship the board to you and would be fine waiting a week. I can also pay for shipping it back. I am short a 14 pin socket because I accidentally broke it removing it, but I can pick one up at Radioshack. I have the 556 just sitting in the holes on the board.
"Without curiosity and knowledge, the mind is a vast void. Without the mind, curiosity and knowledge are nonexistent."
anarkavre

Return to Troubleshooting