Too much voltage on the board

Discuss problems with your Micro-KIM here

Too much voltage on the board

Postby jburke71 » Aug Sun 12, 2007 8:50 pm

Hey All,

After soldering my kit together, but before installing the ICs, I tested the power levels with my multimeter. It seems that I have 6Vs instead of the standard 5Vs going through the power system. At this point, I haven't installed the ICs since I'm not aware of their voltage tolerance, and it just sounds like a bad idea in general (I'd rather not blow out the 6502).

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Jason
jburke71

Re: Too much voltage on the board

Postby Charly » Aug Mon 13, 2007 2:46 am

Hi Jason,
ok, it is always a good practice to check the voltage before inserting the ICs. I see several reasons vor the higher voltage:
- Voltage regulator not correctly soldered at the heat-sink (=ground)
- Voltage regulator defective
- Voltage regulator is oscillating because condensors not (properly) installed.
Hope that helps!
Charly
Charly

Postby jburke71 » Aug Mon 13, 2007 9:38 am

Thanks for the info Charly. The grounding to the heat sink was my first though also, so I'm going to pull the regulator off tonight, and re-solder it. I'm not sure what component is considered the condensor (still fairly new at all of this), so I don't know what to test there.

Thanks again,

Jason
jburke71

Postby jburke71 » Aug Mon 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Woohoo! I'm up and running. The ground on the voltage regulator was the issue. As soon as I reheated the solder on the heat sink the voltage dropped down to 5Vs. After that, the far left 7-segment LED (U7) wasn't lighting, but after reheating the joints on Q1, R6, R7 and U8 it was working fine.

Right now, it's running the clock test program. So far, so good.

Thanks for the help.

Jason
jburke71

Postby Charly » Aug Tue 14, 2007 5:25 am

jburke71 wrote:Woohoo! I'm up and running. The ground on the voltage regulator was the issue. As soon as I reheated the solder on the heat sink the voltage dropped down to 5Vs. After that, the far left 7-segment LED (U7) wasn't lighting, but after reheating the joints on Q1, R6, R7 and U8 it was working fine.

Right now, it's running the clock test program. So far, so good.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

OK welcome to the club! :lol:
Let's have fun with this cute little Micro-KIM.
Charly DL4DBY
Charly

Return to Troubleshooting