Kim Basic (KB9) Problems.

Discuss problems with your Micro-KIM here

Kim Basic (KB9) Problems.

Postby jburke71 » Nov Fri 30, 2007 9:17 pm

Hey all,

I can't seem to get Kim Basic running with the new memory expansion. I pulled the original KB9 from Hans' site, converted it with kimpaper and then loaded it. When I go to 4065 and hit G, I get a bunch of junk on the terminal after a moment or two.

I ran a couple of tests to make sure I could read and write to memory ($2000 and above) via the terminal by entering some values, dumping them to papertape and the loading them back in. Everything appears to be working.

Has anyone gotten this version of Kim Basic (KB9) running on the Micro Kim? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

For reference - command used to convert KB9: kimpaper kb9.bin 2000
jburke71

Postby hanso » Dec Sun 02, 2007 4:32 am

Hi,

As far as I have seen you have done the right things. I have done the same test when I activated my 32K RAM expansion, with the same program and the same kimpaper command.

1. Jumper at the right location?
2. Loading ends with success? If not add more ms to especially line delay
hanso

Postby vbriel » Dec Sun 02, 2007 8:27 am

I have to start with the obvious. Did you remove JP1? The 32K RAM card takes over control of the memory decoding, so you remove the decode enable jumper and let the RAM card handle it. I'm sure you did, but just have to ask.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby jburke71 » Dec Mon 03, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Yep, I have J1 removed, and I've run two tests so far. The first one was the memory test program from the first book of Kim. I've run this a number of times, and each time it comes back without errors. The second test I ran was to write some bytes to memory locations above $2000, dump them to papertape, power cycle the Kim and then load the papertape file back in. This also worked without issue. However it's not a perfect test since I'm only testing a small amount of memory with the second test.

So, I'm down to a few possible issues. Either I have a cold solder joint somewhere that's causing intermittent issues with larger programs, or the memory chip has problems or I just need to slow down the transfer speed (as suggested by Hanso).

I think I'm going to modify the memory test program to unconditionally jump back to the start of the program to stress test the memory for 12 hours or so. I'll also probably recheck for cold joins on the board. If none of these work, I'm not sure what to do at that point.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again,

Jason
jburke71

Postby jburke71 » Dec Mon 03, 2007 10:43 pm

hanso wrote:Hi,

As far as I have seen you have done the right things. I have done the same test when I activated my 32K RAM expansion, with the same program and the same kimpaper command.

1. Jumper at the right location?
2. Loading ends with success? If not add more ms to especially line delay

As far as I can tell it's loading successfully. I've checked the starting and ending bytes in memory against what's in the papertape file (which matched), and there were no error messages during the load. However, if the issues is hiding out somewhere in the middle of the memory space it would be hard to find without checking every single byte.

Thanks for the verification of my process. If you don't mind, can you send me a md5sum of your kb9.bin and resulting papertape pap file. That would remove the files and my conversion process from the suspect list.

Thanks,

Jason
jburke71

Re: Kim Basic (KB9) Problems.

Postby mlukasek » Jan Sun 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi,

did you solve this problem? It appears that I have the same here. I even tried to load KB9 from paper tape and save it back to paper tape and file compare was succcessfull. All other programs and tests go ok. Any idea?

Thanks

Martin
mlukasek

Re: Kim Basic (KB9) Problems.

Postby Norbert » Mar Fri 04, 2011 12:19 am

Hi jburke71,

have you tried to run a small program written for starting address $6000 (for example) with jsr or jmp instructions in it?

You can 'relocate' a short existing program to this address.

It is not enough to be able to store single bytes and re-display them in higher memory locations, as they might by mirrored from below.

Cheers
Norbert
Norbert

Return to Troubleshooting