32K ram card problem

Discuss problems with your Micro-KIM here

32K ram card problem

Postby Norbert » Feb Wed 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi all,

as a glad owner of a new Micro-KIM Version1 Revision 1 I have got a problem with the 32k card. The main board and the 6532 card are running perfectly. I soldered them as kits. But as soon as I connect the ram card and switch power on, there is no power light, Mikro-kim seems to be blocked. The jumpers are set as they should be. As I cannot see the layout/schematic of the card in the web (problem of my browser IE8?) I hope that somebody can give me a hint and/or send me the layout/schematic of this card. One of my favourite suspicions: is the connector soldered in front or on the back of the card?

Thank you in advance from Germany!
Norbert
Norbert

Re: 32K ram card problem

Postby garryj » Feb Thu 24, 2011 1:08 am

The connector body is on the silkscreen side of the card. I think the forum link to the memory expansion schematic might be broken, so here is one I made up a while back. Hope it helps.
Attachments
MemoryExpansion.zip
32K Memory Schematic
(27.13 KiB) Downloaded 1009 times
garryj
----------
garryj

Postby Norbert » Feb Thu 24, 2011 3:49 am

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry my stupid question but I do not know this english expression: silkscreen side is the components side?
Norbert

Postby garryj » Feb Thu 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Norbert wrote:Thank you for your reply.
Sorry my stupid question but I do not know this english expression: silkscreen side is the components side?

Yes, on the component side. "Silkscreen" describes the artwork layer for the text and component outlines printed on the board. Sorry about the confusion.
garryj
----------
garryj

Postby Norbert » Mar Tue 01, 2011 5:30 am

The problem is resolved. I had used machine sockets which have a larger pin diameter than the 'normal' sockets.
There is quite a thin conducting path running in parallel with one side of the ram module. Its socket caused a short by touching this path.
Desoldering it damaged some of the paths under the ram module, so - it's a pitty - I had to replace them by thin wires...

Everything is working fine now. Even KB9 basic is running stable with 24510 Bytes free. :D
Attachments
My Micro-KIM.jpg
Running!
My Micro-KIM.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 12812 times
Norbert

Return to Troubleshooting