flashing display

Discuss problems with your Micro-KIM here

flashing display

Postby Benski » Aug Fri 05, 2011 7:03 am

I've been enjoying the micro kim for some time now, but just recently it has begun to act up
after about 10 seconds of running the display goes blank. I press on reset which usually displays the last address
but some times a single number just starts flashing on and off or the display stays off
perhaps a certain chip has been fried??
any idea's?
Benski

Re: flashing display

Postby vbriel » Aug Fri 05, 2011 11:37 am

You may be correct, the 6532 would be suspect since it controls the I/O display and keypad. I'd look at a different power supply first, those go out and cause issues.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Benski » Aug Fri 05, 2011 7:40 pm

yes you were right about the power supply
The first time this occured i checked the output of the 7805 regulator and it was 9V!
that was the first thing i replaced!!
so do you recomend ordering a new 6532?
Benski

Postby drcoyote » Mar Thu 13, 2014 5:37 pm

It seems I have a similar problem. I just assembled my KIM. I turn it on, press reset, and all appears normal for about 5 seconds... Then the display goes blank. I press reset again, and I get varying results... Sometimes a single bright digit, sometimes what looks like a good (random) address and data, sometimes bupkiss. The longer it runs, the more likely I'll get the bupkiss on reset. But turning it off, even for a few seconds, goes back to the initial symptom... About five seconds of display, then wierdness.

Any ideas out there?
drcoyote

Postby drcoyote » Mar Thu 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Okay, a little further testing...

For the few seconds the display works, KIM responds to keystrokes appropriately, shows sensible displays, etc. I cant help but think it might be the RIOT. I'll keep all posted...
drcoyote

Postby drcoyote » May Sat 03, 2014 3:19 pm

So, after some troubleshooting, I decided the problem might be a bad 6264 RAM. I replaced it, and now KIM is happy and healthy!

Thanks, Vince, for a fun kit build! Now on to the programming! :mrgreen:
drcoyote

Return to Troubleshooting