Assembly

Discuss software for the Micro-KIM and KIM-1

Assembly

Postby bugman » Apr Thu 10, 2008 6:29 am

So, what is the best way to assemble a program? I just ordered a kit with the memory expansion.
bugman

Postby bugman » Apr Mon 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Basically, I was looking for opitions for compiling an assembly program. It would be neat to be able to use a resident compiler. However, if I am interpreting the information correctly, it looks like most people use a cross-assembler. Micro-ade uses cassete ports. Are there any other options?
bugman

Postby vbriel » Apr Mon 14, 2008 9:00 pm

When I write programs I usually use a cross-assembler TASM. I haven't used anything for the KIM-1. Maybe Hans has?

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Pepe » Apr Tue 15, 2008 8:00 am

Dasm (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dasm-dillon) is another great assembler. I use it for all my 6502 assembler projects. If you want a more advanced environment with link possibilities you can always have a look at www.cc65.org

/P
Pepe

Postby hanso » Apr Wed 16, 2008 3:33 am

I have used Micro Ade on my original KIM-1 with much pleasure, in the years 1979 to 1983 . Two tape recorders under control of the Micro Ade program, a VT100 terminal via a serial inetrface (6850 based), it was perfect. I can still read the old cassette recordings!

Nowadays no one has the patience and lack of money and slow access to sources of information on the KIM-1, limiting what we can use to program the KIM. A PC with endless cpu power and storage and access to the internet and an abundance of tools available makes developing so much more fun because it is so fast. At least, if you dont get lost in browsing the web ...

So my preferred way of doing things for the old 8 bit cpu based machines is using a PC with a good source editor, cross compiler or assembler. For the KIM-1 and other 6502 and Z80 machines my favorite is UltraEdit as editor and control center. The assembly is done by integrating a comand line driven assembler like TASM or DASM or whatever your favorite is. Any cross assembler or compiler delivering a binay is fine, I use TASM and my binary to tape utility to make it suitable for loading the program into the microKIM.

Missing part is a debugger with more facilities than the KIM-1 monitor. I have looked at the monitor part of Krusader, the Apple 1 variant. It can be adapted quite easily to the KIM by rewriting the serial I/O routine. I will publish this in the near future, still tweaking on suppressing the echo of the KIM-1 tty routines.
hanso

Postby bugman » Apr Wed 16, 2008 6:54 pm

I definitely understand the power and advantages to using another computer to compile. I will probably try Merlin on the apple ii because I am familiar with it. I should be able to write a program to convert it to a text tape file on the apple.

Am I correct that 2ksa is another option for a resident assembler on the KIM-1?
bugman

Postby Kallikak » Apr Wed 16, 2008 8:46 pm

Yes - 2ksa was/is for the Kim-1, and is still out there. My initial plan for a Replica 1 assembler was to port it, but I ended up wanting to change so much that it made better sense to write something new - hence Krusader.

Ken
Kallikak

Postby bugman » May Wed 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Would you be willing to give me some tips on converting this KRUSADER to the KIM-1? I think I understand the basic concept. Make sure the RAM locations specified exist on the KIM, then change any apple specific reference points (like OUTCH) to KIM-1 equivalents. I have fooled around with it for a while and can't get it to work. It just prints a character over and over when I start it.

Thanks,
Brian
bugman

Return to Software