another PockeTerm up and running :)

Talk about the PockeTerm, updates, and uses

another PockeTerm up and running :)

Postby no0207 » Oct Sat 19, 2013 11:32 am

This morning I finished my PockeTerm kit.

Actually I was much in doubt during the process of soldering it that box would ever work - some of the soldering points and the gaps between soldering point and GND area are really tight. But somehow it works - looks like the solder resist does the trick ;)

The acrylic case is really very nice!

Tried to connect to a host - that did not work. Next tried a loopback (by putting a wire into the Tx, Rx holes of the Host socket - which also did not work! Finally found it was my fault - had by mistake applied the pinout from a female DB9 to a male DB9, so the wires were in the wrong places.

Just happend that I first used a host system which is configured for 115200 Baud. On the PockeTerm end Rx worked (mostly), but Tx did not. Next tried another host system at 9600 Baud. There everything appears to work. Is it possible that the PockeTerm actually can not handle 115200 Baud?
Attachments
PockeTerm.jpg
PockeTerm.jpg (185.18 KiB) Viewed 10359 times
no0207
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Nov Sun 04, 2012 11:36 am

Re: another PockeTerm up and running :)

Postby vbriel » Oct Sat 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Nice work, I don't often hear about the blank boards that go out. Yeah, the limitation on the PockeTerm BAUD is due to the code it is written in. It could use a complete makeover but I just don't have the time. I wrote it along with another programmer a few years ago to solve the VT100 demands. Make sure the 2nd port is turned off and that helps speed things up. Have you tried 57.6K yet? That should work without error.
User avatar
vbriel
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Jul Tue 19, 2005 12:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: another PockeTerm up and running :)

Postby no0207 » Oct Sun 20, 2013 2:14 am

Thank you vince. Deactivation of the PC com port is a very good hint. Unfortunately the Z80 system I am playing with can only 115200 Baud and nothing else - but I am waiting for another board where I can configure Baud rate...

There is one hint I would like to forward to other PockeTerm users - in case they want to update firmware:
For me the tool from the Parallax web site (Propeller Tool) did not work. It first detected the Propeller chip, but lost connection each time I tried to upload the code to the EEPROM. Then I tried the BST (Brad's Spin Tool), which is in fact a very clever alternative to the Propeller Tool. That worked out of the box. The BST can be found here: http://www.fnarfbargle.com/bst.html
no0207
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Nov Sun 04, 2012 11:36 am

Re: another PockeTerm up and running :)

Postby no0207 » Oct Sun 20, 2013 1:28 pm

As you recommended Vince, deactivating the PC interface speeds things up. Could verify that through running a lengthly hex dump from a quite powerful host - if the PC interface is on, every now and then some chars get lost. If the PC interface is off, everything gets displayed properly. Btw just digged out an old terminal from the late 70's (a japanese KDE-820, VT52 compatible, probably powered by an Intel 8080). It also has no handshake implemented. Was surprised that old box also handles the data stream without losses. Guess the PockeTerm deserves some portions of the code being rewritten in machine code instead of SPIN. I will investigate as soon as I have some time...
Attachments
KDE-820_Terminal.jpg
KDE-820_Terminal.jpg (184.42 KiB) Viewed 10332 times
no0207
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Nov Sun 04, 2012 11:36 am


Return to PockeTerm General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron